Welcome to the forum

Essex Sportive - Easter Monday

Me and Robbie have signed up for this.

It would be nice to have a few CCA there - it's only £10 - so even if you don't know what you're doing that weekend [like me] - it's worth booking in anyway as there's a cap of 300 riders and you might miss out on a bit of Easter bonus riding!

We're doing the longer route - 'only' 80 miles or so - so well in the range of many.

Details;

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=617&eventid=2129

Entry online:

http://www.londonphoenix.co.uk/pages/easter-classic/09/

And a reminder - 4 CCA members are doing the UCI approved Cheshire Cat Sportive on the first day of BST - 29th March. The 102 mile route. It promises to be a bit special - so far 1,200 riders have signed up! More details and online booking here if you want to join us - as we plan to go around in a group;
http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?option=event_detail&event_id=7

Comments

• I'm in (boss permitting!)

8-)
  • NICE ONE SKELDERS... FLASH THAT NEW KIT OFF!
  • all confirmed, I'm in!
  • Robbie...how are you after the bus....Tim told me...sounded bad.
  • Looks good Martin. The only thing stopping me from entering is I don't know what I am doing at Easter at the moment!
    Daniel
  • GEOFF GET ENTERED... NO EXCUSE, YOU WERE AT THE FRONT ON SUNDAY.
    UNTIL THE TANDEM FLEW PAST THAT IS.
  • If that's the 13th April Phoenix club one then maybe I will try it. Not sure if I can make the expectations of a fast ride as they put it especially over 80 miles.
    I'll go see if there is a slot.
    Thanks a bunch Robbie.
  • Tragically I am grounded for this one :-( Enjoy!
  • Seems like just the three of us from CCA.
    I know a couple from FVS who have entered. A nice wheel to follow.
  • I'm going to be away on holiday else I'd love to join
  • edited April 2009
    4 CCA riders did this today. Me, Robbie, Skelders and James Davis. Well organised and an ideal ride to build up to something meatier in the year. Good signage, facilities, car park. Good bar at the sports centre start showing Paris-Roubaix. Recommended. Apparently, it hopes to be upgraded to a UCI approved cyclosportive next year - with official timing chips and improved start/finishing.

All around the Essex lanes towards Chelmsford. The area is nice - though not as nice as around our way I think. And the roads around Essex are smoother - but greasier... As Robbie found out about 12 miles in. We were in a fast peloton when Robbie slipped with a fellow FVS Tri rider. The FVS rider's Garmin says they were going at 20.2mph when they went down! Bruised and torn his kit - but both riders otherwise fine. At the feed station later [home made flapjack and obligatory eccentric country manor 'personality'] a rider said he nearly went over Robbie's head - so it could have been worse.

Skelders and James picked up 3 punctures - and so drifted back - but I saw them at the end - they both enjoyed it with good times. I stayed with Robbie and the FVS riders, coming in to get an official 'Silver' time of 4hrs 4mins. Delighted with that. Even with no time lost to the fall or dilly dallying at the feed station, Gold at 19 mins less would have been a push in the wet weather. Though it did dry back for the last half.

Happy Easter. Job done!
  • Well done on your Silver... still waiting for the stewards enquiry for James and I, after some haggling they gave us a time of 4hrs 30mins - we had been putting our bikes in car & discussing the punctures etc not realising that we should be checking in!! we did get a cadbury's cream though!

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride, although 3 punctures in first 15 miles in the rain almost saw James and I accepting defeat and going for the shorter route... we weren't happy (Easter!) bunnies I can tell you!
    Fortunately we hooked up with a medium/nasty'ish group and turned in an avaerage speed of 17.7 overall so pretty pleased with that 8-)

Agree with Martins comments, was very well organised and will definately be back!

so what's next guys????
  • Great to read how you all got on. Wish I could have joined you (except for the falling off bit, obviously). Are you okay Robbie?

What next? Well how about the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge? Go on, you know you want to do it!

Daniel
  • Torn pants but well worth it. Martin rode well and certainly helped to pull my sorry ass round!
    Think the next one is 7th June for me... Highclere Sportive. Nice one chaps. Great to see Skelders and James... get those winter tyres back on eh!
  • ah, but they came into their own in the final 20 miles... once the roads had dried & we were actually on tarmac as oposed to Paris/Roubaix dirt tracks !! but yes, the Bonti's will be out for next year... I blame the weather forcast!!!