Welcome to the forum

100m Hatfield Forest Spring Ride - this Sun 17th, 8.30am

edited March 2011 in Club runs
Several riders have suggested that we arrange an early season 100mile ride. Sunday 17th April has been proposed. Hatfield Forest route via Radwinter, Fulborne and back is both a beautiful and testing ride. The ride will as always on our club runs include a midway stop for lunch and be at a club-ride pace. After lunch it often happens that some of the faster riders choose to push on harder to the finish...the section after Radwinter is faster with some beautiful flowing open stretches to enjoy. How many others are interested ?

Comments

• Count me in for this one. Cheers
  • Geoff,

Depending on lad's football, might well be along for this one. This is where I came in last year.

Darren
  • I'm up for it- sounds good!
  • I'm in, sounds like a good challenge.
  • I enjoyed the Spring 100 last year and am up for more of the same; if I can persuade my wife to watch my son's footy.

Vic
  • that looks like a winner then guys...all the more the merrier....martin, can you get this ride on the Calendar please with the route

Anyone know someone who can do the support car??.It was an absolute must last year...let's hope the weather is kinder this year
  • Count me in please - I can be lanterne rouge!
  • I've updated the calendar - including map link.

http://www.ccashwell.com/calendar.html

I've suggested an 8.30am start.

Not sure I can do it this year - but a great route and always a laugh.
  • hi,

can i be in on this one?

FYI - my family has grow since the last time we met, im a bit rusty due to this so i'll be john's lanterne rouge's lanterne rouge!!

Same meeting place?

Stu
  • edited March 2011
    more than welcome Stu... congratulations on new sprog...another future cyclist....probably meet at the Doctor's surgery in Ashwell....will post map for location.
  • In the pub last night
    sounded a good idea
    will join the lantern rouge , if the weather is ok
    Hatfield route is fun
    long time since I did a 100 !

James

PS probably think about a "bank holiday " ride
    the extra one seems favorite 29th April ( half the population watching the TV )
    discuss on sunday ?
  • I'm in for the 17th, don't believe for 1 minute that Stu will be porting the lantern rouge after my limpback to the fray this year, my last man monicker is coming too true, btw thanks to Stef, Des, Strappy and Vince for waiting last week. Can't make the 29th, away for the weekend to avoid the regalia, in a medieval house without TV and mobile comms, only well water, earth closet and just a few friends, beaucoup de vin, dogs and bikes for enterrrrrrrtainement.
  • looks like a good few doing this ride...........anyone offering to be the support car???..........MEET AT THREE TUNS...see sticky for map location........8.30am START.......hope we get good weather..
  • so next week now
    a few club riders going if fancy a steady one
    I will be there ( if dry )
    08.30 start

James
  • I've got the all-clear for the 17th. See you at the Tuns at 8.30am.
    Chris
  • Is anyone out at 9.00 or are most doing the 100 at 8.30?
  • All,
    I won't be able to make this ride this year due to football commitments. Have a good ride.

Tim,

If you want to get up early I'm thinking of doing a 50 miler up to Grafham Water but I'll be leaving Stotfold by 7.

Darren
  • Tim,

i should be out at 9am. I've got to be back to Gamlingay by 11:15 for a birthday lunch so can join you for a bit

Trahern
  • tim
    i am on decorating duties after lunch so need to be back at around 1.00 pm so i am up for a 9.00am start we could always do the hexton / sundon type route i done this last week i need all the pratice i can get and the weather looks great or what ever suits you.i would like to do the 100 but i think it will take to long at club pace.
    you thoughts
    strappy.
  • moving this back to the subject........we don't appear to have a support car this year guys....two possibilities suggest themselves.....first is perhaps someone can offer to meet the ride at midway point RADWINTER crossroads at PUB...this way we all meet at start and we bring our lunch for car to take there as previous years.
    second is that people bring rolls etc. in pockets and we stop at shop for extras and water.
    We go through Balsham as usual and could stop at the pub we frequented on first trip for ploughmans or similar.....
    Basically..a two bottle ride with fill-ups and come prepared to carry enough to get you through the ride...
    looks like being a good day if the weather does as predicted.....see you all 8.30 at the Three Tuns
  • Strappy, I think i will probably do the 100, could do with a long ride. I havent got all day though so probably wont stop at lunch. Could do with being back by 2.30.
  • I'm up for a quickie at 0900 Tony, see you there
  • Hi Mark....brilliant and please thank Michelle.....suggest we will be there(punctures allowing) at about 12 noon so let's say 11.45 optimistic to 12.30 pessimistic......it's 57 miles there and a bit lumpy...we usually take it easy to that point average about 14-15 mph and pick up after lunch about 18-19 for second half.....the back half is a beautifully graduated fast ride as others will attest.......bring your grub for Michelle to carry...I will bring club tubes and track pump just in case.

Tim..great idea...am sure there will be a few who will want to stretch their legs on the way back...should give you 2.5 hours to 2.75hrs for back 44 miles if we do as planned.
  • sorry can not make the whole day now
    but will be doing a club run at 9am
    for anyone interested
    50 miles ish
    hope the 100 mile goes well
    weather looks great
    James
  • thanks michelle!

two slices of bacon and brown sauce please!!

mwahaha
  • Sounds good, are there many other people going^?

Geoff you said if anyone ever needed to buy an inner tube that you sell them yourself, think I'll be able to grab one tomorrow? Probably best I have 2 spares for this one.

Cheers
  • Mark....It isn't IN Radwinter...it's the crossroads on the large open green with a pub...the road goes north if you remember to Ashdon...anyhow..let's get our bearings tomorrow...no problem.

o.k. Nat. 2x tubes £6..see you 8.30
  • edited April 2011
    Great fun, cheers everyone

thanks for the inner tube geoff, I got half way home and remembered I'd shot off and hadn't paid! I'll bring the money on weds/next weekend

Hope you all had a good one
  • Superb ride chaps. Many thanks to Geoff for sorting the route and Mark C and Michelle for the cracking flap jack and water top ups for our lunch break.

All in all a brilliant ride with sunshine and great scenary. We even had a head on fight with a huge 4x4, which nearly took us all out!!! Thanks to Scouse for his bike handling skills at that point as we could have easily ended up in a heap.

Cheers chaps another great day out
  • Definitely a great ride, thanks everyone.

It's a lovely route out and a blast back.

Thanks to Mark and Michelle from me too.

Mark.