Welcome to the forum

Etape du Tour 2011

edited July 2011 in General
Took place yesterday, and as per all 4 etapes I have done, the weather was scorchio. Must have been well into the 30's with little wind to cool you down by the time we hit ALpe d'huez. Saw lots of people being treated for dehydration/heat exhaustion on the final climb.

It was a shorter event this year, only 109 km to the usual 170 odd, but with more climbing, the same route as the Marmotte less the first 40 miles and the climb of the Col du Glandon. So started up the Telegraphe, then Galibier, then finished up Alpe d'Huez. It was also a lot better organised with all riders sort of seeded to get the fast guys at the front and the start was restricted to spread everyone out a bit. Worked well as there was plenty of space on the whole route and no congestion. It felt a lot faster than previous Etapes as a result and seemed to be over in a bit of a blur. Thoroughly enjoyed it and really liked the climbs of the Telegraphe and Galibier. Alpe d'Huez hurt a lot.

It was won by the same guy who won the Marmotte I think, in 3 hourrs 39. My time was 6:12 which I was delighted with. Puts me 3154th from approx 10,000, versus 4584th in last years event. Climbed Alp D'Huez in 1:34.
Saw Lee on the Telegraphe where he dropped me looking very strong, and then again at the finish. Think his final time was 6:09.
Paul who rode with CCA 2nd claim last year before moving to Singapore, was 7:18. He got stuck on the wrong side of a road closure for 45 minutes while they bought the helicoptor in to rescue someone after a serious crash. Not sure but think someone hit a wall and somersaulted over into a gorge on the lower slopes of the Galibier/Lauterat descent. They took 20 minutes off the time of anyone who got held up.

Staying in the same chalet as the guys who did the Marmotte. It is fantastic. And to be able to get the cable car back here from the top of ALpe d'Huez was a perfect end, did not feel like getting on the bike again!

Massive respect to the guys who did the Marmotte. Drove over the Glandon on Sunday and could not imagine doing that and then the Etape on top. Planning to tackle the Glandon and Croix de la Fer tomorrow on the bike.

Finally, well done to all involved in the IC 25mile TT - sounds like you all really did the club proud.

Comments

• Well done lads! Sounds like you both got amazing times - and in that heat - several degrees above our day - oof! Enjoy that chalet hot tub jacquzzi - let the bubbles pummel those hot feet!

Coming off the Galibier!? Aye carumba. Poor fella. This video by a Dulwich guy captures the intensity of the descent pretty well here.

I think there's a few CCA looking with interest to see where next year's Etape[s] will be...
  • well done Stef & Lee!!

glad you enjoyed it... see you next year on the
  • Well done Stef and Lee, sounds like you both had great rides. Enjoy the rest of your hols Stef, very envious.

Thats a great video coming down the Galibier, and strangely looks scarier on video than i remember it being in reality, although having just come up glandon/telegraph and galibier, reality was somewhat blurred. A good descender too that chap, although possibly going a little quicker than is advisable.
  • stef & lee
    well done lads great effort and great times to i now know what it takes to do those mountains
    hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.
    top draw.
    strappy.
  • Hi guys, stef sums it up pretty well. It was scorchio but fab. I'll post some more thoughts later, just got back to blighty last night after a 11 hour drive!

Got round in 6hr 9 mins. Had a bit of an issue on the Alpe with cramp again (suffered same fate last year on Tourmalet) but overall pleased with time. The descent of the Galibier and thence onto Lauteret was superb

I've got some piccies and I took a video camera as well, so once i've figured out how to edit it, added some bangin' tunes and worked out how to/where to post I'll ket you know.

if anyone is can help with editing that'd be great.

Ta
    Lee
  • Blimey... is it not hard enough to ride it, let alone film it?? Chapeau!

I have this vision of you whizzing down Galibier with a dirty great camera balanced on your shoulder ;-) .. you know, those old (now!) VHS ones... te he
  • I too had a go at this ride on Monday and would echo that it was a great ride. Not quite at the same speed as Lee and Stef, got stuck at the crash too and then again for 20 mins when the lights went out in a tunnel about a mile after the crash. From my time at the top of the Galibier and foot of the Alp I thought I lost a bit more than 45 mins, but a tough time on the final climb probably cost me just as much. 7.24, 5175 and very happy, but disappointed enough to have to do it again some time.

Alistair