Welcome to the forum

Norseman Extreme Tri

edited August 2011 in Road Racing
This isn't called The Norseman Extreme Tri for nothing. Everything about it is an extremity. Starting with the terrain. It's mostly set in the Norwegian National park  which sounds rather pleasant. And it is. It's our equivalent to the Lakedistrict. Only on a 'Norse' extreme scale. The fyords and montains make Windermere and Hevellyn look like little old men. Funny. That's exactly what I felt like at the start line. 
Our hotel looked like something out the shining. Empty. And huge, looking across vast water to endless mountain ranges. Then 3 coach loads of Japanese tourists turn up and it's 'Sorry Sir I think we are fully booked in the restaurant tonight'. Managed to secure a table at 6pm before the masses had time to shower. A simple buffet that was just right.  Price of meal  extreme. Nok 1200 (£135 for two).  The village of Ulvik has a cafe. So we went for a locally brewed beer (£12 each). You get the idea. That said it's wonderful. We (my supporting crew or rather 20 year old nephew) rested before we had to get up to get to the start for 2.30am at Brimnes. Now that normally isn't the start. It had been raining so heavily that the temp of the water had dropped dramatically. The race organises had gone out and found the warmest stretch. Very nice of them. They also added on another kilometre to the swim in doing so. I heard it was 5km. Let's hope the tide would be in our favour.  Because of the change in swim it meant adding another 20km to the bike. Now totalling 200km over 5 mountain passes and over 4000m of climbing

Comments

• edited August 2011
    The marathon was still just a marathon.  And it was still banging it down with rain. 
    Race briefing was emotional that afternoon. Around 600 people in a sports hall in Eidfjor sat crossed legged in the dark with only the Norseman logo on the wall. We had one minutes silence for the 78 murders. Norway was still in mourning from the atrocity the week before. To brighten things up,  on came two girls playing a violin and accordion. Then the crazy Norse race director was so pleased to inform us that the race was going to be even more extreme due to the weather, the swim, and bike changes. On my way out I noticed a stall with Norseman branded gear and one to sign up for the Norwegian special forces. No others. 
    We crossed the fjord by ferry at 1.20am. My race planning and hotel finder didn't say that the 10km between our hotel and race HQ involved a fjord. The new port of Brimnes just happened to be across the other side to where we were. Being first there we wondered if we had got it right. By 2.30am it was heaving with cars and competitors. Andy had to leave me and follow the stream of bike support traffic to the new transition. I walked onto the ferry with a smile in my wetsuit, my race number being marked on my arm and leg on the way. The lounge was full of buzzing triathletes. I soon realised that I was one of the older ones. Most in their late twenties early thirties. Not the same in the UK and in European ironman events. I'm never first at anything. So at 4.45am, out of 254 competitors, I was first to jump off the back of the ferry into the black 800m deep fjord. And was told to swim to the kayaks 500m away. They were the shepherds. The ships horn The official start. I was hoping the tide was in our favour. Not sure which way it was going to be honest just kept following the small flashing light in the far distance where we would turn around. No issue being kicked. The fjord is easily big enough. It was harder to stay close together. Dug in and didn't let the dark play on my mind. The flashing light was a turnaround not only for us but for the tide. It became really hard work to go forwards. Started to gain places and half the bikes were still in transition when I got there. Drizzling I opted for arm warmers and not rain jacket. The extra 20km was flat along the bay then we started to climb. The climb lasted 2 hours throughout small dark tunnels not used for cars anymore. Talk about hidden pot holes and gravel. That climb was never ending. The next hour was cold, foggy, wet and soul destroying. It was across barren landscape with only cairns to keep you company. The next bike was a dot in the grey rain. Support cars can help riders due to no aid stations on the 125mile  ride. Needed my rain jacket. Shivering on the bike isn't fun.  Navigation is easy tho. There's virtually one road all the way. No others. Onwards. After three more mountain passes and tough climbing and descending we were on dry roads for the first time. After a cornish pastie, i was ready for the final long climb of the infamous Imingfjell. Couldn't even think about the marathon. I knew this last climb had a deceptive second climb. Climbed all day in the saddle and within myself.  Didn't want to kill the run. The final hour was mostly descending with a few bumps that I didn't feel. Felt surprisingly  good. Maybe the sun helped. Transition 2. Got the trainers on and started running. Mentally gave myself the challenge of keeping it going all the way to Zombie mountain and I did. It's called that because Norsemen triathletes wander from side to side all the way up the hairpin bends. Talk about the first part of Alp D'Huez being hard... this is much steeper and longer. I was so happy to be walking up it and not having to tackle it in the bike. This lasts for 8km and was now 26 degrees. Got to the top and was checked for medical issues and told to run another 10km. Redbull shots played a major role getting through that. During the last couple of miles my support pointed out that there was no way back to our hotel driving 4 hours and catching the last ferry so our minds had shifted from The Norseman to 'Am not fckn kipping in the car.' No big finish like an ironman. Just a mat for your chip and a couple of torches guiding the way. 17hours and 19mins. We were sleeping in a mixed dorm in a log cabin with triathletes. Pizza and a Guiness. Sorted.
  • holy sh!t...

quality Robbie, quality!!

what is next my friend??
  • http://www.nxtri.com/videos

This is the link to the video from last year.
  • Congratulations Robbie. A great achievement. (I feel tired just reading the decription!)

Daniel
  • Got Helvellyn Tri in 4 weeks. More mountains.
    Next year deffo up for the Tour of Wessex 3 days stage race on the bike.
    Maybe Lands End JonO'.
    Maybe Wenslydale Big Cheese Tri for a laugh.
    Maybe some old school point to point city to city TT's.
    Maybe a chat with Jim Rees?
    Already needing a focus for 2012.

Interesting. The bike leg on the Norseman was my weakest discipline regarding places (210). Think I'm a slow climber in comparison. Swim (146) just pipped the run (169).
  • Crickey Robbie. Legend.
    Pub soon for more detail soon.
    Thee highest regards
    J
  • Amazing... awesome. Well done Robbie. Bet that pizza and guiness tasted good...
  • robbie
    blimey robbie well done mate that sounds nasty glad i am not at a head case like you.
    top draw
    strappy.
  • Crikey Robbie that is one extreme event. Absolutely brilliant.

Just watched the video and my first thoughts were blimey that water looks cold!!! Superb venue though. What great suroundings etc.

As you say how do you top that one!!!
  • go dad go!!!!!
    nice to see u home daddy! xx