Welcome to the forum

Fenland Clarion Road Race 21st aug

edited August 2011 in Road Racing
A first win and well deserved for our Jeremy Ross on Sunday!!....Using the Great Gidding course but with the finish up the hill at the back of the circuit it certainly looked well suited to his talents...a few attempts at breakaway were brought back,including mine with 3 others guys who didn't know how to go through (Ashwell chain gang could show them a thing or two!) I was also puffing a bit from too much wine and pasta on holiday but was glad to get round....towards the end Jason Stuart and Jeremy tried their hand and got away with 4 others...sadly Jason dropped back but still managed 11th I think BUT Jeremy outsprinted his breakaway companions including Phil Hargreaves a strong rider who is now 2nd cat in fine style.... with our friend Ian Clarke as judge it was a nice moment!...we're going to have to re-think our event next year as a 3/4 won't do as Jeremy will surely be a 2nd cat by then...WELL DONE!

Comments

• Go Jezza!!!!
  • Obviously very happy for Jeremy, just desperately envious at the same time!
    Well done!
  • Well done Jezz, I knew those stealth powers of yours would come good eventually! well done to Jason and Carmelo as well
    Lee
  • Thanks guys, chuffed to get a win! Started off wet and slippery with a few guys slipping over on a round about still in the neutralised zone. Soon dried out though, and the pace soon picked up. I tried to go away a couple of times early on- mostly due to bordem! and there was usually a couple of guys off the front. I then had a bit of near disaster, whilst going down a long hill on the fastest part of the course, I went over a bump with my front brakes on which then locked up and wouldnt release. After stopping they managed to come free and seemed to work ok but just had to timetrial for the next 15mins to get back into the group, luckily I think they had to slow down for a frightened horse so I managed to re-join in time to see Carmelo go off the front with a few others. Spent the next lap and a half recovering, felt pretty bad but on the last lap had a quick chat with Jason and we both tried to get away. We were going well for a little while butthe main group was starting to come back, Jason said that it probably wasnt such a good idea after all and I agreed, but it was a bit too late now! I pushed on by myself, someone from the group came over to me and we pushed on to catch a rider from cambridge and wayland cc, I dropped them on one of the hills and went on solo again. Was really struggling for a little while when a group of four others caught me. We managed to work well together and chain ganged it through the rest of the lap. With the finish at the top a short, steep hill, everyone was looking for someone else to make the first move, I didnt really wait for it to all slow down, just got my head down and sprinted for all I was worth, didnt dare look behind but I think I managed to drop them well and crossed the line by myself, bit shocked to win, Jason found me grinning like a monkey at the side of the road! Thanks to Jason for getting me started on the breakaway!
  • Wow Jez - Well done!

I was impressed before. Now to find out you stopped to adjust your brakes before TTing back on has just turned the impressometer dial a few notches more.

Great stuff!
  • Quality mate, well done!

Dave.
  • Nice one, well done :-)
  • Top banana.

Sounds just about the hardest way to win a race.
  • Inspirational stuff Jez - really well done all.
  • Great news Jez and if you havent yet seen you are in the results section of CW in bold:)