Welcome to the forum

Lands End Jon o Groats 2012

edited September 2011 in General
Who's up for this one?

Comments

• Tell us more....
  • Want the London 2 Paris really....... Always open to suggestions !!
  • Interested
  • How many days are you thinking of ?
  • edited September 2011
    Ordered a couple of books to read first to help plan it. But thinking one week off work plus both weekends either side sort of thing. I know there are fast routes which take A roads which isn't so enjoyable and a more scenic route which might be preferable. All in the air. There's also the option to go with the medical research charity but that feels a little programmed and takes over 9 days. I'm more up for more time in the saddle and less days but not hammering it during the day. Need to research.
  • If we threw the words 'fixed wheel' in it would make it more of a story!
  • http://www.action.org.uk/sites/default/files/amr_e2e2012_web.pdf

Action Medicals details.
    If I did fixed then this might be an option.
  • I am now seriously getting worried about you Robbie!!

Thankfully I do not own a fixed!
  • 9 days? I thought you were talking about a Sunday Ride!
  • edited September 2011
    I have a detailed route map from when i did this in 2009 if your interested.

It's a scenic route and takes in some superb quiet roads with very few main A roads involved.

Its definitely not the quickest route and covers just short of 1000 miles but well worth it.
  • Cycle Route Details nicked from web
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/John_O_Groats_to_Lands_End_Full_Route-Cycle-Route-334.html#

Cycle Steps
    This is the complete route that I took. I did this in 9 days. Due to these time restrictions I put on myself, Cornwall goes through the A30, and the Lake District is all down the A6. With more time I would have taken in the sights in these areas. The hardest areas are Devon, West Scotland....and the last 10 miles into Lands End!
    John O Groats to Lands End Full Route
    Distance : miles (km)960.05 (1545.05)
    Duration(hh:mm)216:00
    Calories Burned 38882.03 kcal
  • Fixed wheel would definitely make a story...that's over 100 miles a day if 9 days......I might be up for that if we genuinely keep to a sensible average.....would have to invest in a sturmey archer 3 speed fixed hub...would be fixed but give the options on ascent descent and flat...have to check the ratios and select the right chain ring and rear cog combination...more gear for bike nerds :-)
  • Andy. Deffo like to see this especially on the fixed.
  • edited September 2011
    I think 1000 miles in 9 days is quite enough of a challenge for me and my starting point would generally be "now what am I going to do to make this as managable as possible !" This slight divergence of approaches aside, certainly still interested. Any chance of nice comfortable hotels rather than a tent !!
  • useful links

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm
  • Did this 10 years ago, definitely up for it again. Depending on details, I'm in!
  • guys, a thought......whilst all these other charities are good causes how about starting at home....do we want a clubhouse of sorts on our new ground??...if yes then why not ride this route and raise money for the new facility?? what better charity than CCA?? fixed wheel is a track machine..we have a dedicated grass track....there are committed trackies across the country..they might buy into this challenge and join us for sections of the ride from one end of the country to the other.....let them raise funds and donate half to CCA and the other half to a charity of their choosing....just the glimmer of an idea, but it would certainly have legs as a challenge on a fixed wheel bike...sure we would get loads of coverage
  • Robbie,

I have dug the route map out and will let you have it next time im out, possibly Saturday.
  • 9 days? Pussies! Gethin Butler did the first 400 miles in 16 hours. Finished the whole ride in a weekend.

Are there any fords on the route?

Daniel
  • Good points Daniel!
  • What gear ratio did Gethin Butler have on his fixed?
  • Definately on my list of things to do before I die, put me on the list - but not on a fix I'm afraid
    LE / JG is a deffo for me.
    Gathering info will share in due course.

Going fixed wheel from now on. See Saturday rides.
  • Think the idea of raising money for the club is brilliant.
  • will aim to join you for some 8.30 rides in the coming weeks......am at the track today and Belgium next Sat.....will be in Durham 24th ...helping at Cyclo cross on 1st...so 8th Oct looks like the start for me...have a good one Robbie......lets look at this LE/JG ride for dates and route and the kindest climbs possible if we are serious about the FW challenge....could be fun.
  • Rob, any idea of the dates you are thinking of.
  • This is open for debate. Got the guide book. Very useful. Trying to work out how to do it re: support etc so we don't cart stuff with us. An option is a Motorhome. All in the air.
  • edited September 2011
    By the way. It's a deffo for me. One way or another. There's always the default and doing it thro the charity. Awaiting an email back from the guys MC suggested who do it cheaper than having to pledge £2k+
    Another option would be a smart courier company- chuck everything in a box and it beats us to our next destination. There's so many ways of doing this but no obvious easy option unless you go with an organised company.
    The route in the book is direct on mostly quiet roads where possible and avoids massive scary hills. Tried and tested.
    910m. By motorway and fast A roads it's 846 so it's pretty direct. The book has loads of suggestions for B&Bs and stop offs etc. Continuing to research but already on the fixed training! Regarding dates... thought I'd do the Tour of Wessex 3 day sportive on the fixed wheel beginning of June. So.... for the big event... Maybe Early July, August or September? If it's with a LEJOG organised thing it looks like early June.
  • August sounds good to me Robbie.....We could hire a motorhome for the duration or ask Alistair nicely think he has one which he used when doing the route a couple of years ago.
  • Let's say August. Gives us something to work on.