Welcome to the forum

Lands End Jon o Groats 2012

Comments

• Robbie, text me your address and i will drop my route map off later for you which might help with alternative roads etc. 07976 752848.
  • Cool. Nice one Andy!
  • Just Go are the Motorhome rental company we've used many times for European events. They're spot on with plenty to choose from. It's about £1350 for 14 days. We need it for less so will be cheaper. Shows the models and gives quotes. If we have 3-4 riders and a driver (and drivers mate) it would be perfect. Might approach my nephew who was my support in Norway.

Justgo.uk.com
  • edited September 2011
    Wow Robbie...sounds like a plan...we need someone who can cook pasta and someone who can massage tired legs, otherwise looks a goer..cheers
    looks like the explorer will do the job.......
  • definately tempted.... however, the final decision will have to be after the
  • Great idea, been wanting to do lejog. Couple of blokes at work are very interested also. That's 3 you can add to the list.
  • Just a thought. We could take a big tent as well...making room for sleeping for more!
    Bring it on!
  • edited September 2011
    Names so far very interested...

Robbie
    Geoff118
    Geoff
    Jon S + 2
    Neil (Freedom Tri)
    ?

And a few maybes....
    Skelders
    Nige
    Peter
    Alistair
    Mc?

Any others?
  • Promote me to the very interested list Robbie.
  • A TENT!!!
    now you're scaring me

8-O

will it be like the ones at Glamping witha loo & shower???

http://goglamping.net/
  • who is going to erect the tent each day??/.already done this on that epic Newcastle to Galway ride..was pissing down every day...was cold/wet and tired...don't fancy repeating that again Robbie
  • Robbie
    Geoff118
    Geoff
    Jon S + 2
    Neil (Freedom Tri)
    Peter (just been promoted!)

And a few maybes....
    Skelders
    Nige
    Alistair
    Mc?
  • Camping can be sad in the rain but we don't have to.

If we have one mobilehome to carry all the gear we need and to sleep five, the others can stay at a B&B nearby (or camp if its sunny).
    I've got a list of B&B's in the handbook. All to be worked out. I must say more the merrier on the ride tho.
  • thought motor home was bad enuff- but camping... OMG!!!!

Billy- me, mick g and some others looking at the etape too, so start a rebel tour link when dates are announced.

NO OFFENCE LeJoggers- but my heart is in the mountains, with some comfort and good weather thrown in!

either way, 2 great targets for next year
  • it will all depend on the
  • been watching the posting with interest...
    stick me down as a maybe
  • Robbie
    Geoff118
    Geoff
    Jon S + 2
    Neil (Freedom Tri)
    Peter (just been promoted!)

And a few maybes....
    Skelders
    Nige
    Alistair
    Mc?
    Stef (just added)
  • robbie
    been keeping an eye on this but i am of to florida for a couple of weeks in june so my
    holidays will be limited next summer for other trips.

like skelders i will need to keep my tan topped up so sunshine & mountains sound good to me
    but i will see how things go and who's going where.

all the best strappy.
  • I may have got a couple of guys who are showing a bit of interest too............ ;-)
  • Robbie...you missed Mark H on the interested list.......looks like a blue train beginning for a 900 mile cyclosportive special.....B&B sounds good to me as well, besides I'd get killed for snoring, cos I bet I'm the only one :-)
  • Robbie

I must have been writing at same time as you posted the b&b option

Stick me on the poss list mate!

The forecast is good for next year. Ha!
  • edited September 2011
    Robbie
    Geoff118
    Geoff
    Jon S + 2
    Neil (Freedom Tri)
    Peter

And a few maybes....
    Skelders
    Nige (+ 2)
    Alistair
    Mc?
    Stef
    Mark H
  • edited September 2011
    Hey strappy... Ya get 8 rides for the price of one ride up those French lumps! And change for some chips (and deep fried battered mars bar!)

See you in Cornwall mate!
  • edited September 2011
    Andy H has just dropped off the official LEJOG map.
    Cheers ears.
    Easy to use format!

http://www.discoveradventure.com/UserFiles/image/trips/lands_end_John_ogroats/itinerary.pdf
  • I have another friend who's interested, so now Jon s + 3.

Re accommodation I'd be more than happy to sleep in a tent, anything that keeps the cost down!

Just out of interest what gear ratio are people thinking? I'm looking at a 42-16 or in old man talk 71 inches.
  • Robbie
    Geoff118
    Geoff
    Jon S (+ 3)
    Neil (Freedom Tri)
    Peter

And a few maybes....
    Scouse Chris
    Skelders
    Nige (+ 2)
    Alistair
    Mc?
    Stef
    Mark H
  • For the ones who are going fixed...

I'm training on 46 x 18 which is a 69inch.
    However I might go 46 x 16 see how I go in the training.

http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/track-bike-gear-chart
  • Possible 2012 date :
    start Lands End Saturday 18 August
    finish Jon o Groats Sunday 26 August

Means Friday travel to Cornwall
    Monday travel back down from the Highlands

We could shift this a week if preferred?
  • Robbie,

I would still be (very) interested in doing this, but I am afraid August is not really practical for me. As Geoff suggested, I have a largish motorhome, but am likely to be somewhere else in it during August(I have not done this ride before though, flattered that Geoff might think I have.) I do not think I would have chosen August anyway, accomodation will be more difficult to get and holiday traffic in the areas we might choose to go through would also be likely to be quite a bit heavier.(this is of course a guess)

But if the month ends up changing I am in and I will do the training anyway. I would be happy to use the motorhome as a support vehicle, but I would not recommend trying to get too many sleeping in it. It is very comfortable for a few, but as soon as the numbers go up and they are tired, knackered and have had to put up with each other all day a small space with no privacy might not be ideal. I have a cycling friend that might be interested in driving if the timing was right.

Regards

Alistair
  • Taking on board the above suggestions from Alistair which all make good sense:

Revised 2012 date
    start Lands End Saturday 23 June
    finish Jon o Groats Sunday 1 July

Means Friday travel to Cornwall
    Monday travel back down from the Highlands

B&B for most. Some camp. Some in the van.
    Sounds like we're getting there!