Welcome to the forum

##FOR SALE## TREK 6500 Mountain Bike 21.5inch

edited September 2011 in General
Excellent condition, was bought for me about 4 years ago, used to potter about with the kids only. Toughest trail it has seen is the Greenway! Currently this model retails for aroun £950.

If you're 6 foot or above it will be perfect for you :-)

will post pictures when i work out how... again!!

Comments

• still up for grabs!
  • would be interested in how you arrive at the correct size Tim....track bikes are usually a size down from road..so my 56 road is 54 track....your MB would be 52..thats 2 sizes down, so would 50 be right for me?...will need one up in Durham...some wicked off road stuff there....any advice from keen off-roaders appreciated
  • MTB's are, usually, measured in inches and get categorised as small, medium, large etc. As with road bikes the way measurements are taken varies between manufacturers. So, the best advice is always to try before you buy. Probably, the most important thing is to ensure adequate standover height. You should have about an inch and half plus between your crotch and the top tube. Pretty obvious why if you need to put your feet down. You should be able to sit on the bike and feel comfortable, balanced not stretched or cramped. As a guide. I'm 6 foot exactly and ride a medium GT (18 inches) and a large Trek (18.5). I used to ride a Large Kona (20) but that was a bit too big.
  • Caveat on the Trek (and this is confusing). The 18.5 is the virtual size (there are 2 sizes on the frame). The official size is 19.5. I did ask what all that was about when I bought it in Trisports but even their answer was a bit vague.
  • Geoff - dont ride a Trek mtb soooo uncool
  • and as we all know James I'm the height of cooool :-)
    Thanks Ade H.....21.5 deffo too big for me then.....I'll just look around for a bit and do as you suggest......plenty of time
  • not going there Geoff

you will be a 17.5 or 18 inch mtb frame. Poss a 19inch. As with road bikes you need to check geometries and with mtb there is a lot more variation.

xc bikes tend to be longer top tubes as they are more racey than trail bikes with are a bit shorter and for messing around on more than going eyeballs out.

you need to work out what you are going to be doing off road then chose a bike to suit the terrain and style of riding. Have a look and see what local riders use up there for clues on what would work well.