Welcome to the forum

Bike Blenheim Palace

edited October 2010 in Sportives
Hi all

I took part in the Bike Blenheim Palace sportive on Sunday. I’d like to tell you that it was a beautiful route around the Cotswolds on an early autumn morning. Sadly I can’t because the weather was awful! Wet and very windy meant it was head down and grind it out for 60 miles (I’d actually signed up for the 100 miler but wimped out). The wind and hence the rain, was blowing either from the right, the left or head on, throughout the whole course, never behind!. The first 20 miles or so were ticked off at a fairly reasonable pace in a group of about 20, did a couple of decent turns on the front (which I would pay for later on!) and when the wind was at its worst, the group split into tiny smithereens. The rest of the ride was thus completed in miserable isolation! However, I got round in 3hr 59mins hours and only 1 puncture, which given the conditions wasn’t too bad. Placed 65th out of ~ 800 riders (18th out of 161 in age cat)

The organisation was excellent. Route signage was spot on, feed stops well stocked, marshalls at every junction (the poor buggers deserve a medal) and they’d even laid on motorcycle outriders, not quite rolling road closure but not far off.

Whilst the sportive was going on, there was also a time trial in the Blenheim Palace grounds and just as I got back the 5th Brompton World Championships had started. In the afternoon there was a cyclo-cross race and bike stunt team and go-ride stuff for the kids. The whole of the palace grounds were then opened up to everyone to ride round in the family ride.

Its set up as a real family event and if you want to take the family along (and they are not that interested in bikes) the event centre is not too far from Bicester Outlet Village, where your other halves can spend the money you’d have otherwise spent on bike bits! You can’t lose.

All in all a good day out, but the weather put a dampener on things a bit (literally).

Next up (and the last sportive for me this year) is the Verenti Tour of the Peak on Sat 30th Oct. The route looks challenging and includes the Cat and Fiddle, Winnats Pass and Holme Moss climbs. Is anyone else signed up for this?

Cheers
Lee