Welcome to the forum

Sunday 28th September

edited September 2008 in Road Racing
Folks, its the last, if not, close to the last race of the season this weekend and it's taking part over at Whitwell near Codicote.
The circuit is Whitwell to Codicote, Left upto Hitchin and then Left to St Pauls Warden and left again a Whitwell to complete the circuit - 7laps. It starts at 8:45.
So if anyone wants the take a club run over that way to take a look/support/jeer at Carmello, Richard, and myself as we wind our merry way around, then any support will be welcome.
Oh - and it's a 2/3 race if you wonder why us 3rd cats are looking a bit pained on the day!!!
Cheers
Trahern

Comments

• That sounds a good idea Trahern..........I hope others agree......we could do with a ride that way.
  • Despite the doubts that the race might be cancelled/postponed due to the fog, the sun burned through and the race got underway at 8:50. A bit chilly at first, but we soon warmed up.
    Pace was ok on the first lap with the long hill up to St Pauls Warden being taken at 20mph. The next lap was a bit spicier and the next time up the hill was at 22.5mph. Myself and Carmello struggled with this pace and dropped off the back. The two of us along with a North Road rider spent the next 3 miles chasing hard after the group and just caught them before the 'lumps' on the Whitwell to Codicote road. A few breaks went clear, but were chased down, but enventualy a group of about 8 strong riders broke away on the Codicote to Hitchin road. The rest of the pack put in some fast bursts but nothing that was going to catch the front guys.
    Up the long hill on the 7th and last lap my legs gagve out with about 50 yds from the top and I again dropped off the back of the pack. Despite my best efforts at chasing, I didn't manage to catch the bunch again, but I did finish the race approximately 50seconds down.
    Richard said he got cramp on the last small climb just before the finish and I think Carmello finished at the back of the pack.
    A hard race at the end of the season, but with 3 Ashwell riders showing, progress on the racing side is happening. I did see and hear the Ashwell supporters out on their rides as I came around the corner - and very welcome it was too.
    A welcome break from the racing & training for a little while - so I'll see you out with the club next week.

Cheers Trahern