Welcome to the forum

GD 100M FIXED WHEEL - 30 OCT 8AM START

edited October 2010 in Club runs
ANOTHER CHANCE TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF WITH THE GEOFF DENNY 100.
ALWAYS AN EASY TURN OFF AY MOST POINTS DURIN THE RIDE.

Thinking about doing this on the fixie....

Comments

• I'm in, and up for the fixie challenge - cracking!
  • when you thinking lads?......could be up for it, but be kind to an oldie..hahaha
  • Saturday 30th October. Be a wicked challenge...especially for the backside!
  • in Scotland for that one......have a nice one lads
  • edited October 2010
    Martin. I'll get you the wheels!
  • I have a pair you could borrow for a couple of weeks if interested
  • Not sure what else I have planned for that day. I like the idea though and could maybe abort before the full tonne has been done.

Daniel
  • I'll likely be on my [geared] bike for probably 60 [turn for Heydon] or 80 [after Clavering] miles. Not sure I have the time for three Shredded Wheat.
  • Martin, I won't be able to do the full distance, so will happily join you for the early turn. Also I doubt I'll be on a fixed.

Daniel
  • edited October 2010
    Yes. See you there at 8am. Hope Phil's better. Weather looks ok.
  • If one is going to start a fixed wheel ride group then that is what it ought to be......however, no-one should seriously contemplate riding fixed wheel for more than 50 or so miles as a max. The effort required to pedal cntinuously whether uphill or down and on flats is worth a further 20 to 30 miles. Just think how often you freewheel...a luxury unavailable to a fixie.
    Gearing is also important. The higher the cadence the better the smoothness of pedalling developed. This has to be balanced by the need to pedal downhill.......68-72 inches is about right for most.
    I will be starting to ride fixed on Sundays for 50 miles or so soon...anyone wanting to do this is welcome to tag along. average speed will be about 17mph.
  • I should be there guy's. Geoff, your sound advice just makes this entire fixie challenge all the more appealing - there is no doubting it is going to be super-duper tough. Nutters and mad-men need only apply!

Oh....and then the next day it's the Col de Weston Woods......
  • Yes. Two laps anyone!!!
  • Two laps is an interesting idea. Utterly impossible for me at the moment, but this is a tempting goal................
  • hahaha.....incorrigible.see you all when back...probably be Sunday 7th.....have a good hill climb
  • Has anyone got a spare fixed bike i could have a go on as my fixed project is currently being powder coated somewhere in Meppershall?

54-56cm seat tube sizing c-c would do.
  • Hi James
    I've acquired Robbie's old fixie [his new one makes its debut on Saturday]. You are welcome to borrow it.
    It's a 54. The wheels are off at the mo. And I need to stick on a bottle cage. Et voil
  • ANYMORE ON A FIXIE ON SATURDAY OR LONG RIDE WITH GEARS?
  • Il be out, but only going to do a short bit!
  • Im in for this one. See you at 8am.

I will be on a geared bike as 100 miles is tough enough for me with a rack full of gears let alone only one!!!
  • Sorry now cant make it. Change of plan.

Have a good ride.
  • Weather looks good tmrw. Nice to see the sun during the day!
  • edited October 2010
    Good riding - great weather when nearly November! 6 out; me, Robbie, Phil A, Sam K, Daniel, Jeremy.
    Jeremy peeled off early doors - him and Dave are racing for CCA tomorrow. All the best: let us know how you get on.
    Good to see Sam King out. Not seen him since he broke his chain leading the Primavera. He gained his Cat 2 this season - they build them rock'ard in Hinxworth y'know.
    Robbie's new fixie put to the test big-time on Everton Hill. Might need to tweak those ratios. A smart looking bike - ready for winter.
    Yep - my fault for leading down the wrong road to Duxford. No major trauma. Just a longer drag to Elmdon.
    Well done to Daniel to opt for the 'getting beaten up' option and sticking on extra miles.
    Me and Daniel left Robbie and Phil to it, dueling fixies, at Wicken Bonhunt, getting back 1.15pm, 81 miles @ 17mph. Back in time for an egg butty and coffee from Days. Job done!

See you tomorrow with spent legs [excuse alert!] for the hill climb.

And hopefully the pub on Tuesday.
  • Perfect weather for the most perfect Autumnal ride, and plenty of it too. Yes, cane it tmw Jez (and david) and come back with experience and points! Phil led the way back after we left the boys, with me creaking at the knees tired from pushing a gear just too big for too long, to complete the 100m. Chuckling, we did speak of 'two laps' at slip end and what it would take to do it.
  • It was the most prefect ride - a stunning day; the next GD100 is on Saturday 27th November. Now looking forward to the dash up Weston Woods Hill tomorrow.

Geoff, Riding the GD100 on the fixed turned out to be okay; it really wasn't as gruelling as I'd expected; mentally, I was prepared for the worst!

Cheers All.......
  • well done everyone....just realised that you are talking 100k for the Geoff Denny route not 100 miles....still...a tough ride on a fixie....
  • Martin, thanks for dragging my sorry carcass back to Ashwell; I was spent. I went onto develop a horrid cold by the evening, so that must have been brewing en-route. What a fine route it is, I know almost nothing about Geoff Denny, but nevertheless it was delightful to be riding a route to honour a fellow cyclist.

I discussed wheel wenches (if only) with the non ratchet riders and promised to give details of the Campagnolo ‘peanut spanner’. It even has a Wikipedia entry; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Campagnolo_crank_spanner.jpg They weigh 100g (two energy bars) and can be purchased from your favourite bike stores (not cheap though).

I was cleaning my bike today and noticed the rear tyre had a ‘hernia’. Clearly a cut to the side wall was allowing the inner tube to painfully bulge out. This was a new one to me.
    Looking forward to November 27……

Daniel
  • Sorry Geoff - my bad writing. Me and Daniel doing the 81 miles with gears. Robbie and Phil - 'aving it for the full tonne o' miles on fixed.

I can't make the next winter GD100 on 27th Nov. Am up north for a few days - and indeed going to catch Carmelo gigging in Bury. Carmelo - if you have your bike with you - let me know if you fancy joining me on a hilly 40-50 miler that weekend around Bury/West Pennines, including the Ramsbottom Rake 25%!
  • respect guys...a serious one that..ta for the heads up Martin
  • Thinking about 100m Saturday and 100m Sunday sometime on the fixed. Phil's idea.