Welcome to the forum

Saturday 13th NOV middle group 8am

edited November 2010 in Club runs
Another long ride on the fixie. 8am ok for everyone?

Comments

• Unfortunately I'm on call this week so its turbo training in garage for me this weekend - great!
  • I'll be there Robbie, with a dog clutch though.

Daniel
  • Daniel, presumably the dog clutch is to be attached between yourself and Robbie...?
  • Peter, that is a very good idea!
  • that sounds brilliant...Robbie, you could do half the distance and twice the work and all back earlier..a win win :-)
  • edited November 2010
    That steel fixie with all that chrome and the Brooks saddle is rather heavy...
    Or maybe it's the fact that i've been spoilt with carbon all summer!
  • 72 miler here, 3,300ft climbing. Some less travelled lanes in the mix - to Buntingford, Hadhams, Waterford, up to Datchworth and familiar ground up St Paul's Walden and back via Graveley. You could cut the last bits out to bring it down 8 miles or so.

Just an idea. Am happy to go with the flow.
  • Looks like a great route to me. Daniel
  • Bikemap.net version of the above route. This says 2,230ft climbing - oddly different from Google. Hmmm.

http://www.bikemap.net/route/752810

Bikemap.net has an easy GPS export button. It's also maybe less fussy than Mapmyride in general - no ads n' stuff.
  • Thanks Martin, this downloads to a gpx file nicely (I could never make mapmyride work).

Total climbing is clearly hard to calculate as all programs give quite different answers, for example Memoery Map estimate 1193m from the gpx file! I guess it comes down to map resolution, route line resolution and interpolation between the contour lines. Daniel
  • 8 out at 8am. Unfortunately, Theo wasn't feeling too well and bailed. So me, Daniel, Robbie, Sam K, Jez, Tim H, Peter G took off. Quickly overtaken by some lazy so-and-so on an electric pedal thing. A bit surreal. Up and at 'em into the Hadhams. The good weather never came over our way - leaving the roads wet and sticky. Robbie was suffering with a virus and left with Sam and Peter for a smaller loop - Peter resplendent on his new fixie - put together from purchases from lfgss and learning the know-how from the web. Most impressive.

To Sacombe and then the puncture fairy made a show. Jeremy getting 3! Later on one for Tim and one for Daniel around Whitwell in amongst a massive fox hunt. I got away with it with my Bontys although I did pull out flints the size of shark's teeth. My bad luck came when the zip broke on my saddle bag and I did lose my nifty tyre inflator. I hope the roads are drier for the Sunday riders.

Daniel left at Letchworth and we carried on but left out the last climb to Wallington with the lost time on our hands. A fine ride among all the setbacks. 70 miles, 16.7mph av on the clock, back 1.15pm.
  • The fixie boys managed 50m dragging me back. Man flu today. Feeling sorry for myself! Lol