hence 10am start from my house
27 high st ashwell
( near the post office )
will be a short slow ride for 1 to 1.5 hour
there will be the usual 9am for those inclined to do so
if still icy will call it off

James

Comments

• I'm going to have a look see tomorrow for 9am...if it seems reasonable I'll go for a 30-40 mile easy'ish ride....otherwise I'll come along at 10am and see who else is game for a ride....fingers crossed
  • looks good for 10am
    I will be going out
    details as above
    James
  • well I went and was sole person...the wind chill factor is serious and I'm not sure whether an hour will make much difference...main routes salted but still pockets of ice and the salted surface looks icy so very deceptive...will try again at 10 round James' house....see the hardier sould then.wrap up well...leg warmers under thermal tights
  • Well 6 hardy ( mad ) souls went out
    and indeed 6 came back
    no crashes
    the sun shone on the white shimmering fields
    against the back drop of a clear blue sky
    a joy to the soul
    ( but not so good for fingers and toes )
    later start was good
    keep an eye out for next week
    we usually change to 09.30 about this time
    ( often after the christmas do - can not think why )
    well the club run will anyway

so if you want that righteous feeling
    come on down brother
    ........I hunger for your love

James

PS the author takes no responsibility for your sanity
  • most eloquent James........we six enjoyed a bracing and soul purifying ride .......James I do hope that your last couple of lines is from some pop lyrics!!!!
  • clues
    1 down righteous
    3 across brothers
    cryptic clay pot
    answer pleasure of cycling

afternoon drinking is good fun

pop lyric was correct
  • I was debating whether to do a double turbo session, or more likely sit on my backside and do nothing. But with no football and the prospect of not getting out on the road I was starting to go stir crazy so thought I'd risk the road at lunchtime. Just over 50 miles in the end but my toes are only just warming up. Having seen the weather forecast there doesn't seem to be much change for a while.

Darren
  • Braved it at 10:30 from letchworth. Got a puncture at 30 and then couldn't get the skewer to do up properly, limped home with frozen fingers and toes after that, glad of the up-hills for a warm. Garmin recorded an average of -1.6C, nozzle froze and drinking from bottle was a blackcurrant slush puppy. However good ride, almost a thousand calories and the v hot shower was truly spondicious.
  • There was no way i was going to out on Saturday. It was a John Major of a day.

Today looked brighter but with the big freeze I thought off road was the way to go. The thought of body and tarmac coming together put me off and i was not brave enough to match slick tyres with rural roads. It worked well with all local bridleways being frozen solid, really solid, so solid the ruts managed to bottom out 4" of front fork travel on a couple of occaisions. However, my outing was mud free and quite lovely with everything frozen white and sparkly. In brief it was an out to Royston and back via Littlington on fottpaths, bridleways, byeways (called County Roads???) shown to me by proper off road riders who whisper about single speed 29ers and drink beer at the end of rides. Also bumped into a group of the Royston Runners who were out on the heath and surrounds. Top marks to the chap who broke his run to get down and do 20 (maybe more) press ups at the path side amongst deep frost.

Happy to come accross the abovementioned club run on the way home and get a bonus hot cofffee at James B's - thankyou. Good company back to Baldock with Mark C and Peter G and their matching mudguards.

Once home i thought my toes resembled the purple pototoes now being sold in supermarkets near us. Even the kitchen under floor heating could not get their mojo back. They finally went pink after 10 mins in the bath.

If it stays like this i am taking a hip flask with me next time.
  • got the mountain bike out in the afternoon. cheated.
  • guy,s
    just in case you thought i was a chicken for not coming over my lower back problem came back midweek with a vengance.

i had to re-visit my physio for some pain treatment he said stay of the bike a few days, not one to argue i done as he
    said till late sunday pm went out only done 30 miles still in a bit of pain,i would have slowed you all down.

hope to see you next sunday.
    strappy.