Welcome to the forum

Bikebuilding

edited December 2010 in General
Has anyone got experience or enthusiastic in building up bikes?

I ask as i've bought a fair few components and was wondering once all parts are acquired how long it would take?

Also, does anybody know a 'bike builder' and how much one may charge to assemble a bike fully down to every bolt and cable? (Just in case I struggle with it myself)

Appreciate any help/advice,

Dave.

Comments

• I'm no expert Dave, but have built two bikes this year with success and no previous experience, just lots of research on sizes and fit.
    I understand Tim Duckett and Richard Maynard are our bike builder gurus and are very helpful.
    If you have no other takers, I'd gladly offer help or assistance, just ask.
    Regards, Peter G
  • ditto the above recommendations- except dont ask me for help. i am off to see tim about my mudguards!
  • good man Dave...nothing like doing it to understand your bike...however, there are some areas where the right kit and torque settings are crucial, especially with modern bearings,cassettes and gears......would recommend a chat with Richard or Tim on what you should do and what they could help with............
  • Cheers guys,

So far frame has been fitted with bottom bracket, chainset, deraillauers and brakes...much more interesting this way than buying new (a little more 'nervy' however)...

Chris man! Uni has just given me Semester 2 timetable, and wedsneday are again free! Bring on the Wednesday club runs once again!

Dave
  • Hi Dave,

I've seen my name mentioned on here. I'm happy to help in whatever guise required. Have you got a maintence stand? I ask because this makes the whole process a lot easier.

I find putting the bits on the easiest bit, the harder part and therefore more interesting is getting the whole set up right.

If you you need advice give me a ring on 07921 111550. I can fit you in on my bike building schedule but we are having a very Ribble Christmas at home!

Richard
  • Great news Dave!

what frame you got? be good to catch up with you on the weds runs - literally!

have a good crimbo mate
  • Hey Richard,

Would really appreciate some help fitting shifters, brake levers/cables and the chain if you get any chance in the next month. Just waiting on the parts; expected to be here by friday 7thJAn.

Dave.
  • Dave,

No problem, give me a ring on the above number.

Richard
  • Rich

is dan sorted for pedals?

i got some shimano ultegra and dura ace

chris
  • Chris,

Sorry, I don't know.
  • your son daniel!!

for his new bike!

hoping this is rich maynard i am talking to

c
  • Chris,

Sorry, I'm with you now. I think we're going to stick with SPD metal cleats for starters.

Richard