Welcome to the forum

CCA Youth Section

edited April 2008 in Youth
Good news.......we start officially Thursday evenings 7-8pm on the 15th May Ashwell Village rec. ground(by the war memorial)
Initially we will be organising and running starter sessions for young inexperienced cyclists and would welcome any volunteers who would be prepared to help us on these evenings May to September.
Cyclist with children between 9-16 please bring them along and their own bikes/helmets if they have them. no riders without helmets.
If you know other children who may wish to try this please let their parents know.
We are all learning on this and are hoping it builds up to a solid core of 30-40 young riders.

drop me a line at geoff@cerdan.co.uk

Comments

• I know Alfie will be up for it. Nice one.
  • All the youngsters appeared to enjoy their first session - so many thanks to Geoff & Max.
    Also some very positive comments from passersby about a new use for the rec!
  • Jack and Ollie Boyle ( both nearly 15 ) will help set up each week
    Part of their Duke of Edingburgh so available to help as needed for 6 months
    Will be there for 18.30 to set up and put away at the end etc
    They will be giving it a go as well

James
  • thanks Jack and Ollie..see you next week 15th
  • because of a double booking with the Accies by the P.C. we won't really be able to utilise the Rec. fully until early June.

Last weeks trial went well and even with the multi-use we had no real problems and some positive feedback.

Anyone who wants to help marshall the perimiter please drop by tomorrow about 6.45pm please.
  • edited May 2008
    Thursday 22nd saw our third session at the rec. working around the young Accies who moved their pitch to allow us a better course for the track. Thanks to Ian and Max for running a very safe and interesting starter session for our young teen trackies.....The full number of bikes will be available next week so there should be enough fo all who want a go.
    I ran my first proper Go-Ride session this week and had Katie-Edward-Jack-Joe-Daniel-Rebecca-Leo-Ollie and Jack all doing various exercises which appeared to find favour and some challenge for all. Josh and George were doing track..joined by Ollie and Jack whilst the rest continued with Go-Ride. All had a quick go around the track with their road bikes and some tried the track...those who were of a size that is. It looks like we could do with 4 43cm frames..we will have to discuss.

Thanks to Ollie andJack who help set up and take down as part of their DofE award this year. Also to everyone else who helps.

I will get more organised as we get into the swing of things.
  • To get a flavour of it all - I took a few pictures for the main website;

http://senduit.com/47a0b4

[the link will work for a week]
  • What a sorry evening....rained off but at least we now have all 10 bikes. Next decision is some means of containing and carting the bikes around. whilst 4 tow-bar carriers were allowed for in the budget it is looking as if we would be better off going for a purpose designed trailer from pendle which carries 12 bikes. problem is that the tow bar carriers come to £1000 and the trailer is nearly £2000. Those involved need to contribute to the discussion here please.
  • Hi

A refreshed link to the youth section pictures from a fortnight ago;

http://senduit.com/325899

cheers

Martin

PS this thurs weather forecast much better!
  • This week was fantastic...hiccough with PC over locatrion of track....soo I paced and marked out the full track for the first time at 9am and agreed the location with PC rep. P.Long.
    I planned and set out 3 Go-Ride exercises and 15 young riders turned up with bikes and some with parents. We had all 10 bikes and Max with help from 2 parents set about re-gearing for grass...Max kindly turned up with enough of the right sprockets as Tri-Sports had trouble sourcing.............Thanks MAX..........by the time my sessions were complete the track bikes were ready and everyone who was lig enough got a ride. We let everyone do a timed lap and honour was satisfied all round. targets for all next time.
    We will initiate a register from next week and charge for sessions.
    All-in-all we are looking at a very well received activity which bodes well for the club.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
  • Great turnout this week (June 12th) - looks like you are at capacity.
    Special thanks are due to Ian who ended up helping Geoff out by taking the older group for virtually the whole session.

All those others who said they were interested in helping out - why not come and see what they are doing at these sessions and give Geoff some support
  • Six riders from CCA Youth took part in the Biggleswade Grass Track Meeting on 12th July.
    All of them appeared to enjoy themselves and did well against some more experienced riders mainly from Welwyn Wheelers.

Josh has posted a race report on the forum for anyone interested
  • just back from Manchester Velodrome..a few spills. some knocks and bruises, but all seem o.k. and the buzz from the youth section from this and the weekly sessions is infectious.
    Thanks to all the parents who drove there and helped..some also trying the track for the first time......How about the senior club and youth section booking Manchester sometime for an all-club affair?
  • rained off yet again this week...we have been very unlucky with the weather this season.......still we had a coaches meeting and Tom McQuillan and Josh Maynard are up as youth reps. for the Youth section cttee. ....congrats and thanks to you both for this.
    Please chat to the rest of the youth in the club and give us a genuine idea from their perspective of how we are progressing and what the various members would like to see us developing as a club.
  • Bringing this to the top .
    CCA youth coaches and helpers..........The youth section is officially 10 years old THIS April 2018.
    Maybe you can do something to celebrate your 10th anniversary.
    Well done to you all.