Welcome to the forum

Tour of Flanders 2011 Report

edited April 2011 in Sportives
Hi all,

For Stevie and I this years foreign Sportive Trip was to the Tour of Flanders last weekend.

After an early start on Friday morning we checked in to a hotel in Affligem (some of you may know the local beer) and rode down to Ninove to register.

Saturday morning was dry and bright and became sunny short sleeves and shorts weather. We set off from Ninove with 3 friends from Maldon & Dist CC to tackle the 140k route. There were just under 20,000 riders on 3 different distances. Our route did about 13 of the climbs including the Paterberg and Koppenberg but not the Oude Kwaremont. I was stalled and had to put a foot down on both of those due to riders 'failing' in front of me. Many chose to walk the steep cobbled sections. However I managed to restart and make it over the top. The approach to the Muur was mainly on cycle paths with everyone elbows out to protect their position. With domestique duties performed I had saved lots of energy and flew up the Muur Spartacus style (well, in my dreams!) with just one foot out again due to another rider stalling at the narrowest point. We made it back to Ninove in great shape, it was a superb route and a most enjoyable ride.

Next morning we headed into Oudenarde and saw the first pass of the pro race through there with Jeremy Hunt and Roger Hammod in the break. We then rode out to the Oude Kwaremont and joined it halfway up. There was a huge crowd so we decided to ride to further up. We were roared, pushed and cajoled all the way up by the excitable and well oiled crowd. At one point I had to ride under a flag and part the crowd just like in the Alps on the tour! This time through we spotted Cavendish and Ian Stannard whom I used to coach a bit.

Then it was back to the Museum at Oudenarde to watch the finish on the TV and a dash back to the ferry. A great weekend and I would throughly recommend the Sportive. With so many riders you always have someone to ride with and I caught up with loads of old friends from London and Kent. Apparently over 1000 Brits took part this year. Put it in your diary for next year.

Mark.