Welcome to the forum

Youth Cicle and Rutland Cicle Classic

edited April 2011 in Youth
Theo and Cameron took part in today’s inaugural Youth Cicle race around the village of Owston in Leicestershire. The day was bright, sunny and hot. The organisation flawless.
We got there early enough for the lads to reccie the 1 mile course, ON CLOSED ROADS. This comprised a good climb through the village (with the start/finish) some tight corners and a drop down out of the village to a section of British pave; a gravel section of road with ruts characteristic of this land. This section culminated in a tight left hand corner to take the race back to the village. The race evolved over 32 laps, so not for the faint hearted. The race was headed by a rather loud Ducati motorcycle, a nice touch as the throaty engine note announced the oncoming race. A neutral service vehicle (also a motorcycle) took up the rear carrying spare wheels. (How about that?)
The CCA boys managed to get onto the actual start line and set off from pole position. The pace was furious, with Cameron managing the fury best. However it wasn’t long before our lads were working hard and well together in a chasing group. The leaders were in a league of their own. Lap after lap the intrepid duo fought hard through the dust. The closing stages took their toll heavier on Theo; as Cameron pressed on maintaining a lap time of about 3 minutes. The lapped riders were withdrawn before the final three laps. I saw the start of the sprint and it was very very fast. The race was won by Chris Lawless; holding Tao Geoghegan Hart to 3rd place. So a great experience of premier Youth A racing and a top notch race.
The preceding girls Youth A was won by Bethany Hayward of Welwyn Wheelers.
We now had time to enjoy lunch before the arrival of the Rutland CiCLE Classic; this looped through the village, I think, 5 times. It was great to be up close to such a premier race. Our friend Ash Cox was in the lead group.
We set off home, only to stop to witness another passing of the peloton. An unfortunate retirement of a rider fortunately gave an opportunity for an impromptu Q&A session for the curious CCA. Thanks to Kieren Frend for chatting to us and for giving us some good, and, bang up to date advice.
A great day out!
Daniel

Comments

• Daniel, Theo, Cam and Stewart,

Hope you had a good day, it looked like a really good meeting. I think everybody is at Woodbridge Crits. this week, so I'll see you there.

Richard
  • Well done Theo and Cam! Road stars of the future for sure.