Welcome to the forum

chaingang

edited April 2011 in Chain gangs
null

Comments

• It was a fantastic night for riding. Clear, warmish and better light this week. 5 out including myself, Tim H, Jez, MC and Tim D who was swept up between Litlington and Bassingbourn. The speed we were travelling at as we approached Tim (27mph) makes me think he must have had to make a big effort to just to jump on.

I made a mess of my change coming off the front after a lacklustre pull on the way out of Basingbourn. I slowed down too much and then missed the train as it pulled through on the slight incline between Bassingbourn and South Farm (i noticed this slight topographical deviation on my second time round). Will try harder next week.

After the peleton pulled away i carried on solo and completed two laps at an average of 20.6 so didnt feel too bad about being blown away!

In truth the small peleton of big strong chaps was too strong and fast for me to stick with but am hoping to stay in there for longer as the weeks pass by. Even if this doesnt work out i am happy to fall back to a slower pace and if there are any others who are more comfortable sitting between 20-22 i would be pleased of the company. This is good high intensity training!

See y'all next week

JD
  • sounds like a team of champions rather than a champion team......remember guys as Mark's speed stats show..if you work together as a tight knit group your avarage speed is faster.....the effort you make constantly catching up takes too much out...slower and smoother is faster with more in the tank. You will get there.....why not try first lap at a constant 20-22mph and really work hard at the smooth progression with no jumps coming through at the ride pace and soft pedalling on recovery line at a gently slower pace than the pacing line.
    changes INTO the wind so recovering riders shelter the outside pacing riders. The closer the recovering riders get to the pacing line the more shelter offered....all basic but bl**dy hard to get really smooth.........is easier then to gradually increase pace and then lock off at a higher speed.
    If you want a real challenge try it slower and stick in the small chain ring and high cadence...great work-out but getting the action really smooth at this pace helps the discipline .......also make sure everyone on the same gear ratio and therefore cadence...helps to make a smoother rhythmn which almost becomes automatic as you instantly see, almost feel, when someone is pedalling faster......you could also try 2 groups as a smaller number 4-6 is easier to manage...
  • Or.......you can desperately try to hang on to Tim "sharky" Hector. Its not pretty or disciplined, but you cant beat a good mauling! I think Mark C was the only one still intact last night and even he had a few bite marks. the shark had my legs lungs and eyeballs halfway round the second lap.
  • MC- cant touch this- super freak super freak!!

was car hunting with Maisie- last night would have involved less pain, plus no lights!

next week am there pal
  • edited April 2011
    oops :-)
  • is there any chaingang this year, if so when do they start? I'm free on tuesday evenings and am looking for new ways to keep my interest up and get outside my comfort zone :-)
  • Last year, the first chaingang of the season was on the second Tuesday of April. I recall the second lap being a bit tricky at speed in low light - and they still haven't filled that hoofin' big hole on the road up to the hill near Steeple. You'll definitely need proper lights for a second lap.

The way the calendar falls this year - making the third Tuesday in April - 17th - might be better? Sunset is at 8pm.

Gathering at the Three Tuns, 7:30pm leaving promptly.
  • am planning on joining this club this year however won't be at the start line (work commitments)! will endeavor to grab the shirt tails as you fly by on lap two most weeks :-D
  • I'd also like to join in, but I'm afraid I'm too fat and slow. I guess the worst that can happen is that I get spat out the back.
  • looking forward to getting a good kicking and being blown out on the final hill into steeple, if not before between basingbourn and shingay and then getting stronger each week. not sure whether this or circuits is worse but at least this is on bike
  • i've been 17th of april is marked on the calender :)
  • good luck senior club members...get ready for a youth beasting...have fun all
  • We're just middle aged men trying not to become old Geoff!
    If only we could be youth!

See y'all there on 17th
  • ain't that the truth Robbie :-) sadly some of us are getting old'ish
  • I would like to suggest a 6.45pm to 7pm start for those who wish to do a first lap. if we work out the times right we could leave promptly, do first lap and then ride back to ashwell where we pick up the rest of the crew for 7.30pm. We could then head out to towards Odsey and turn left back up to Steeple to do 2 more laps. It would be better to keep the rides at a steadier pace and up the distance but 7.30pm is a limiting factor early in the season due to lights. Would this be of interest to those that can make it back earlier? The key will be to get the first lap over before 7.30pm.
    if anyone arrives 7.15pm they can ride out and start the loop in reverse and tag on. The idea would be to amass a group on the way round.
    i cannot guarantee i will be there every week early but would plan to be.
    just a thought.
  • Hoping to be there at 7.30 work permitting.
  • edited April 2012
    Chaps. Hopefully will be with Martin at 7.30 at Three Tons.