Welcome to the forum

Midland Monster sportive - Sunday 22nd May 2011

edited May 2011 in Sportives
A select CCA blue train was out in Derbyshire yesterday to tackle the extremely windy Midland Monster Sportive. Myself, Emma and Mark B set out on the 73 mile (857m assent) version of the sportive that was out to prove that ‘The Midlands isn’t flat’. I think that we can all report that this is in fact a very true statement and perhaps something of an understatement.

The route started out flat enough, passing through the red bricked hamlets of Staffordshire and South Derbyshire. Too soon however the road turned North and up and headed in the direction of the peak district and a whole other world to what we are used to around here.

After a couple of warm up climbs, we tackled the big one of the day – the 4 mile assent to Calton Moor. Low gears were in order for this one & the lower the better seemed to be the best strategy for actually reaching the top! Luckily the organisers had thought to put a feed station near the top, so after a quick refreshment break we crested the top and were treated to some glorious views of the white peaks, before a white knuckle descent into Ashbourne.

Foolishly we thought that as we had done the largest climb of the day it would be downhill all the way back – how wrong we were. A sharp hairpin turn out of Ashbourne revealed a climb that made Croydon hill look like a small pimple, reduced me to the dizzying speed of 3mph and fearing that my front wheel might actually leave the ground at any second. On we battled over a seeming endless run of short and steep climbs followed by downhills that just weren’t long enough to get your breath back before the next leg-sapping ascent. Also by now, the gale force wind had really got into its stride and was literally trying to blow us back from where we had just come from.

Finally we got to about 10 miles from the finish, when Mark B spotted the RAF team that had come past us in an impressive formation 5 miles from the start. They were looking a big ragged at this point so with flourish Team CCA cranked up the pace and over took in style !! They never did catch us either :)

With a final sting in the monster’s tail the organisers decide to take the ‘scenic’ route to the finish with a hideous 1.5 mile drag up to the finish. By this point it felt like we were riding through treacle and the finish couldn’t come soon enough. However, we all finished as a team in a pretty respectable 5hours 10 mins.

Definitely one to recommend for next year – although without the wind this time !!

DavidJ

Comments

• Sounds a good test. Well in guys!
  • Hi there, first post here and looking at joining the club.

I entered this sportive also, albeit the 101 miler. I must say I'm no great cyclist, never been in a club before, and only entered a handful if sportives. Needless to say this ride was hard! but is actually my reason for coming on here. Walking up a couple of the big climbs was a bitter pill to swallow and made me realise I need to get fitter and faster!

Here's hoping a year of club cycling will mean I can circulate next years event without my cleats touching the tarmac!
  • welcome on board Matt.......we are a varied bunch but if it's company in getting fitter and enjoying your cycling then we are the club for you...happy cycling with CCA