Welcome to the forum

Winter Coaching Programme Youth

edited January 2009 in Youth
Hi Everyone...after much discussion and a bit of thinking we are ready to start THIS SATURDAY 17th JAN.

and then every fortnight afterwards up until MAY when we start again on the recreation ground at Ashwell with grass track.

Therefore we have the coaches and desire to offer three alternatives.

1.......Off-Road and Trail rides ..........starting at 9.30am from Ashwell School. Please meet 5-10mins. earlier so as to be ready to ride. A robust bike with good brakes and tyres with good rough surface grip is important. Please bring your own.

2.........Road riding at Welwyn track ......meet at Gosling Park Welwyn..9am start until 11am.........Road bikes please.

3..........Cycling Skills....Meet at Ashwell School....9.30am..If any want to continue with the bike skills they were learning and move on a bit then we can run some sessions in Ashwell.
This year I will also be extending this to any adults less than confident on bikes who wish to improve. They are fun, whatever age you are.

Please let me know if you and your children are up for any/all of these and if you will be starting THIS Sat. 17th Jan

Happy Cycling

Geoff

Comments

• Hi Geoff do we just turn up???

Tom McQuillan
    Youth Rep.
  • At Welwyn...yes please ..road bikes

Ditto at Ashwell if off=road or go-ride.......please let me know if you can as I will have a feel for the nos. and what we are about.....

cheers
  • I will come to the Welwyn session with my son (and his road bike). Can't stay for the full time unfortunately, so hope that is okay. Daniel
  • Hi Geoff ... or anyone

Will people be going to Welwyn again on 31st January? Nothng tomorrow I presume?

Is it a session for young riders only or can anyone have a go?

All the best

John
  • Hi John

Will firm up tomorrow but the plan is to go to Stevenage cycle paths and start our road cycling with the youth. Bob/self/Mike and Tony are trying out one of Mike Christies routes this week to be sure it is o.k.

More later....Welwyn don't seem able or prepared at present to use the track on Saturdays.will check again but think this week otherwise will be stevenage.

Off Road will be happening again this Sat. 31st....9.30 as before

Go ride for the younger ones is difficult and Izzy..Marks daughter will be going to WQelwyn as they had it going there. was good session.
  • this programme is continuing this Saturday and then every fortnight afterwards up until MAY when we start again on the recreation ground at Ashwell with grass track.

Therefore we have the coaches and desire to offer three alternatives.

1....... Off-Road and Trail rides ..........starting at 9.30am from Ashwell School. Please meet 5-10mins. earlier so as to be ready to ride. A robust bike with good brakes and tyres with good rough surface grip is important. Please bring your own.

2......... Road riding at Welwyn track ......This does not seem to be happening at present on Saturday...only Go-Ride which we can do in Ashwell......
    NEW... we are therefore going to start Road riding using Stevenage Cycle Routes which are a relatively safe and traffic free environment.
    Anyone wishing to learn how to ride in a group and to negotiate junctions and other necessary awareness skills meet at Ashwell School at 9.30am.
    We will drive to Stevenage ..park and then cycle an 8-10 mile circuit which I have ridden to prove its suitability..........Road bikes or mountain. We won't be cycling fast and I expect the route to take about 1hr.

3..........Cycling Skills....This needs more youngsters to make it worth setting up. If we have about 6 then we can progress this. In that case we will meet at Ashwell School....9.30am as before..This is for continuing with the bike skills they were learning and move on a bit .
    This year when we start on the recreation grounds in May I will be extending this to any adults less than confident on bikes who wish to improve.
    They are fun, whatever age you are.

Please let me know if you and your children are up for any/all of these and if you will be starting

Happy Cycling

Geoff
  • well, in case anyone is reading them I will keep up a solitary dialogue.

Duncan and Phil took 3-4 out on another trail ride which was less than the previous ride but enjoyed by all. Much mud was in evidence when they returned.
    I took 3 young riders to Stevenage and their parents and two other members helped chaperone them safely. One parent found the 8 miles quite a stretch, so I am hoping to see them again if not put off. Our youngest rider 6 years old Izzy managed the route and everyone was very pleased with themselves at doing the distance. Lessons about junctions and gear selection were well learned together with the need for good bike control when riding together. I am hoping more will want to do this ride in future as it is a very good way to safely instill these skills. My thanks especially to Mike Christie for route finding and leading.
  • I am reading these entries Geoff! I hope to get Theo back on the Youth Rides; not sure it will be next week though.
  • Hi Daniel.........hope he can make it...Weather permitting we will be doing much the same as last time....Feb. 14th.

If you have trouble making it but can get Theo here by 9.30 we have space to take him and bike..just a thought...

Also if enough are interested I can make a slightly longer route for the older/fitter ones. we have enough adults to make it work.
  • looks good for the weekend..........so 9.30 at Ashwell School..try to be a little early please and then we can get going on time. Fingers crossed.......

some more for our road sessions at Stevenage would be good

Mark Wyer and I recently met with Welwyn Wheelers to agree track sessions and use of their track for pre-season track riding in preparation for riders accreditation and entrance into racing and the national track series. These are mainly on tarmac tracks as well as some grass track events

All those youth riders interested in this programme should contact me now onwards so that we can start planning this year and events to enter. Several youth CCA team would be our hopeful outcome.

Key grass track events to target at present are the Fearnhill track..organised by Max.late June or early July....Clarion Biggleswade in mid July and Mildenhall rally on August bank holiday. This latter a weekend event with a fantastic competition.

We have our new bikes another 8 and these have full size wheels and proper grass track tyres.
  • Hello to all at CC Ashwell.
    Geoff, I'm just checking to see whether there is any youth training this wekend. Isobel is very keen to join in the fun.
  • Certainly is Ian....we meet at Ashwell school....9.30 latest Road or similar geared bike for Stevenage cycle tracks or MTB for trail riding with Mark and Phil.

Try to be here 10 minutes erlier and I can check the bike.

Helmet and warm clothing if cold.........See you then

geoff
  • Geoff, Theo would like to come along. So expect us at Ashwell at 09:20. See you Saturday
  • good stuff Daniel.see Theo then..........Malcolm's son is coming as well..........Note to everyone...if you haven't done so yet please visit the youth section of the website and fill in a British Cycling parental consent form please. Print off and bring Sat.
    Note also...parents who wish to ride are very welcome.
    I hope that in a couple of weeks we will have a group that can try a full road ride as a youth Sat. ride. That's the target.

Thanks all...see you Sat.
  • Next youth rides are 14th March.....Those who know the location for start in Stevenage please drive straight there for 10am start...any uncertain meet at Ashwell school for 9.30am....please let me know who is going to be where so I don't go off and miss someone a bit late.
    Call for HELP please.....Phil starts his coaching level 2 course that week so Mark would appreciate another adult to assist with the off road ride.......Any takers???
    please let me know...thanks everyone...........

Reminder.....April will soon be upon us....ALL Trackies be ready.....We are starting Saturday morning sessions at Welwyn. This is for everyone new to the tarmac track and anyone who wants to race on the welwyn track in the series this year......YOU NEED ACCREDITATION......these sessions under their coaches are designed to get you acquainted with their track and how to race there safely. If you want to race there you MUST do these sessions...please let me know who wants to take part...we will need to fit you to one of our bikes for April before we change tyres for grass track in MAY.

GO_RIDE SESSIONS at the recreation ground re-start on Thursday 7th MAY. Longer this year. Earlier start...5.30.till 7.30pm.
    NEW this year......I will be taking some adult sessions for those who wish to improve their bike handling.....let me know if interested.....e-mail me if you prefer geoff@ccashwell.com

cheers for now.....geoff

this will give a better start and allow overlap between the starter sessions and track riding.