Welcome to the forum

gear shifters

edited July 2011 in General
I'm looking for some 8 speed gear shifters/sti's for my cross build or more unlikely campag 10speed
I wont be able to afford anything like dura ace as im on a low budget.
If anyone has anything i will be happy to buy it but bear in mind the winnings from under 16 races isnt enough for superlight carbon shifters

Comments

• theo

i have a pair of shim 105 9 speed sti's (1999 vintage) that i had on my 'cross bike last year that you are quite welcome to have in return for a donation to CCA Youth (the left one rattles a bit but works fine)

I also have an RPM chainset (cheaper version of FSA) and shim cartridge bottom bracket for it if it is of any use - again for a donation to CCA Youth.

Let me know

Phil
  • thank-you very much phil I would love to take you up on that but unfortunatly
    It's only shimano 8speed or campag 10speed shifters i need
    thanks any way though
  • At the risk of strating a compatability argument, Shim 8 and 9 speed chains are the same width thus 9 speed shifters should work OK on 8 speed systems.

I'll wait to be shouted down!

Bring it on.

Richard
  • Richard my set up is either a 8speed or campag 10 speed cassate.
    would a shimano 9 work on 8speed
  • Theo,

I believe it would but I'm waiting for someone else to shout me down.

Richard
  • The centre to centre spacing on a Campag 8 speed cassette is 5mm. For Shimano 8 speed it is 4.8mm and Simano 9 speed 4.34mm. So a pure Shimano 9 speed set up would not work on Campag 8 speed. However the proposition here is if Shimano 9 speed shifters would draw in/let out the right increments of cable to actuate a Shimano 8 speed deraileur to index 5mm. There is no reason why it should, indeed I think Shimano sell some deraileuars as being both 8 and 9 speed; suggesting the 'lever arm' actuating the movement is the same for both 8 and 9 speed. In other words it is the STI levers which are different.
    Note an 8 speed Campagnolo sprockets can be fitted with Campagnolo 10 speed spacers to get the same centre to centre spacing as a Shimano 8 speed cassette. I suspect you'd need to use 9 or even 10 speed chain though.
    In summary I feel it unlikely that 9 speed Shimano shifters would work with an 8 speed Shimano cassette.
    Daniel
  • Theo,

I do not have the knowledge to add anything to this discussion, but I suspect I might have some Sora 8 speed STI's burried somewhere in the garage and possibly some Shimano 600 series that are also 8 speed. I will have a look tonight.

Like Phil, they are yours for a donoation to the youth section.

Alistair
  • Theo,

I had a look and I have some old dura ace sti's which I am pretty sure are 8's, you are welcome to have them if you cannot find anything newer.

Alistair
  • Alistar thank-you very much
    this is a great help to me