Welcome to the forum

edited August 2011 in Time Trial
Theo, I understand you were a little put out by my neighbour's driving. He wishes to apologize if in anyway his driving was dangerous. However when he came out of the junction at Church Road the High Street was empty. My neighbour is an extremely considerate person and is quite entitled to drive slowly in the village limits. If he was just driving slower than you would have liked I am afraid that is the nature of riding on the road. He certainly did not see you rushing up behind him.
I would appreciate your side of the story to put his mind at rest but please liaise off line. My work email is v.friedlander@allenpyke.co.uk won't give Tim's email but might help to keep him in the loop in-case we need to address any safety or organisational issues. By the way I pointed out you were also of excellent character and your frustration must be understood in the light that you were probably riding with a heartrate in excess of 180bpm. You were not abusive I must add but surprised him.

More generally and for Tim D perhaps we should be thinking along the lines of notifying the parish council in Guilden Morden and other villages we travel through of our regular summer Wed night 10. Also we should probably also consider notifying the Highway authority so that the club will be notified of any road works occurring. I can do this if required but if so let's think about what we need to say and who the relevant contacts should be.

Might it help to place a sign at the Church Road junction in Guilden and also at the junction leaving Guilden to warn drivers of our event. I think notifying locals even with an annual paper drop may also be of value but ultimately we must be prepared to turn off the gas if the circumstances make time trialing unrealistic on the odd occasion.

Flashing front lights may be as useful as flashing rear lights at this time of year. Also extra special care at the moment is required given the large agricultural vehicles bringing in the harvest.

Ride safe.

Comments

• Very important points Vincent.

We had an incident last week in Guilden and someone drove to the finish to complain to me. This isn't the first.

I totally understand that when you are "on it" you don't want to get held up, but the bottom line is that you have to obey the laws of the road at all times. That means no going over 30 in Guilden. If someone is driving through the village at 20 or less that is their right and if you want to overtake you do it on the correct side when it is safe to do so without taking risks. Always ride on the left, riding with consideration to other road users and there will be people pottering about in villages in the evening.

And please, please, please no swearing or gesturing, even if you are in the right.

Remember what has been happening in Old Warden and it only takes a few complaints and we lose the course. I have to get police permission from 3 county forces to run the 10's and a few complaints to any one of them and its all over.

I know its frustrating but we have to obey the laws and be nice.
  • small missunderstanding
    sending an email to explain
  • Theo, by the way i was talking generally and to everyone. Im sure you behaved well and were not doing anything wrong.
  • Cheers guys.
    i want to ensure we keep everyone on side. now must check all your times on the forum.
    Regards
  • Theo,
    Thanks for your email. I genuinely think in the circumstances your reaction and behaviour was spot on. I will let my neighbour know what happened but it highlights that we must take extra care cycling through Guilden Morden and in particular at Church Street for cars turning right onto Dubbs Knoll Road / HIgh Street, which fortunately you did, in case we are not spotted moving fast for whatever reason.

The message to all is please take special care coming up to the junction with Church Street and through G.M. generally.

Tim,
    Can you forward your phone number and email to my work email above so I can forward Theo's message and we can discuss the best course of action to improve awareness locally.

Best regards,

Vincent