Welcome to the forum

CCA Hill Climb - Sunday, 9am 16th Oct 2011 - riders and spectators welcome!

edited August 2011 in Time Trial
Folks

A reminder about the hill climbs.
The inter club HC is on 9th October at Streatley.
The club HC will be a week later on the 16th at Coombe hill (hopefully, awaiting confirmation). If you want to check it out, its the climb from the Shell garage, starting at the deer warning triangle. The finish is the last tree on the right at the top just before the t junction. If you've not been up it before and we never use it apart from the E/M rides, its 1.37 miles gentle to start and gets steeper to the top. Probably a 5 or 6 minute job for most. Sub 5 mins would be pretty special.

Tim.

Comments

• Can you give us directions/post code please Tim
  • You fancying a bit of this Geoff ??
  • edited August 2011
    The Inter Club Hill Climb on 9th October - in Streatley, Beds. Very likely Sharpenhoe Clappers, up Sharpenhoe Road. Oof! Google map link here

Streatley is at the top. That might be where the HQ is - there's a village hall.

The CCA Hill Climb - 16th Oct, Coombe Road hill - Google map link here

'Oof!' x 2
  • thanks for the maps Martin, just the job.
    Yes, my understanding is the inter club is up the clappers.
    More details of ours to follow but go and check it out next time you're out. Its a lovely secluded road, very shallow but never flat at the bottom and then steep at the top, Oof indeed!
  • Yeh going to try the new bike out(same 'old' legs though), unfortunately I have already booked in for Brickhill on the 9th so will not be able to do the IC one but will make the club one the following week.
  • coombe road is barely a hill
  • fighting talk...
  • and here is the elevation profile

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46478294

Between 0.9 and 1.2 miles are the hardest bits (just after the farm/vet centre to the top)

DavidJ
  • edited September 2011
    Neil Fraser here from the HNCC. Interclub to be held on the Sharpenhoe climb up to Streatly with the HQ in Streatly.
    Streatly Village Hall
    Sharpenhoe Rd
    Streatly LU3 3PP

from the roundabout on the A6 proceed up church rd to T where a left turn will take you to the village hall about 100mtrs on the left. Open at 9am for a 10.30 start.
  • Tim,

Is there any chance the club hill climb could be on Saturday 15th instead of the Sunday? There are a few of us riding the regional cyclo-cross league this season so the 16th clashes with a league event.

I realise that switching to the 15th will probably take out others so I know this is a long shot. Perhaps those of us riding cyclo-cross on the Sunday could ride the hill on the Saturday and merge result lists?

Mark.
  • From Neil at HNCC....

Interclub hillclimb HQ will be Streatly Village Hall
     Sharpenhoe Rd
    Streatly LU3 3PP.

from A6 roundabout proceed up church rd to Streatly, at T at the top turn left and village hall aprox 100mtrs on the left. Doors open at 9 for 10.30 start. lookforward on entries in due course.
    Regards Neil Fraser.
  • You can book yourself on to the Interclub Hill Climb, Sun 9th Oct here;

http://tiny.cc/hill-climb-2011

Choose 'Event 15' - it's marked as H.C. HNCC

It's 20 miles from Ashwell. If I go - it might be a bit too far/early to cycle to. Dunno yet.
  • Club HC..

We will meet as usual at 9.00 on the 16th and do the signing on in the car park. Then all ride out to the hill by way of a warm up. Those that are racing will race, those spectating will spectate and then we can carry on the club rides afterwards.

Remember, the more people who ride, the more money the club makes and if you really don't want to ride, please come and spectate, its always fun to watch!

Can i suggest that when riding over we approach the hill from the top not from the 505. Please, no warming up on the 505 either. Space will be a bit tight at the start so please try not to spill out into the road.

Oh, and could someone who isn't riding do the starting watch?

Tim.
  • INTERCLUB HILL CLIMB SUNDAY 9TH OCTOBER.
    STREATLY VILLAGE HALL

1. Steve Smith HNCC
    2. J. Roots BRCC
    3. S. Dixon CC Ashwell
    4. D. Summerhill HNCC
    5. J. Lamming BRCC
    6. P J Walker BRCC
    7. N Tooke HNCC
    8. G Cooper BRCC
    9. T Sykes BRCC
    10. A Saunders HNC
    11. M Bannister BRc
    12. M Horton Ashwl
    13. J Gomm HNCC
    14. NR Fraser HNCC
    15. M Cook BRCC
    16. P Gell BRCC
    17. D Page HNCC
    18. N Senechal HNC
    19. M Anstee BRCC

20. R Witchell HNCC
    21. P French Freedom Tri (PTT)
    22. D Course BRCC
    23. M Gray BRCC
    24. D Farr icycle (PTT)
    25. G Laming BRCC
    26. J Izzo BRCC
    27. NJ Fraser HNCC
    28. B Wilson HNCC
  • Very sad that we can't support this event as a club. Good luck to Stef and Mark. When I first raced up this climb I brought my breakfast up at the top, buurrpp!!
  • Yeah, I don't think we will win this one. Will do better than icknield though. good luck Stef and Mark.
    hope we can do better for the club event next week.
  • todays event was great fun, if climbing something like sharpenhoe clappers with a number on your back could ever be described as fun.
    well organised, good support on the climb, and a huge piece of victoria sponge and a cup of tea for 50 p afterwards.

having only ever ridden up the clappers once before rode up it 3 times today. rain and general tardiness scuppered my plans to ride over, so drove over but managed a few miles afterwards round hexton/barton etc

not sure of the results, saw some of them on the start sheet afterwards and there were a lot of "dnf"s... think the hill claimed a few victims.
    managed just under 3 minutes, which i think put me just outside the top ten.

not sure what today would have done for our overall standing in the IC for this year, guess its possible Hitchin nabbed second place from us as they had loads of riders there. good support for the IC from CCA this year given it was our first year, but we let the side down a bit in the first and last events. would be great to get more riders and more strong riders out next year and try and challenge Beds Road for the top spot.
  • Well done Stef. Would be a shame if we lost our second spot to HNCC. Next year eh?
    strangely there was no one on the med/fast this morning either. Has everyone gone into hibernation?

Remember next week 9.00, club hill climb. the more riders the more money the club raises. think of it as doing your bit for charity.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks everybody who entered our HC and i`m sorry to say i wont be able to make yours next Sunday however if any of you guys missed the IC HC then feel free to come along to our HC on Sunday 23 October at Charlton. Its EOL only 11 for 11.30 start. Head through Hitchin to Charlton and the Windmill PH and proceed towards Preston. Sign on is approx 1.5mls past the pub at the bottom of the hill by entrance to thefarm house. Please arrive by bike as there is no parking. you may park in the pub if you let them know your coming back for a beer!! Regards all, Neil Fraser.
  • Interclub result....

Interclub Hillclimb 9/11/2011 Result sheet.

In accordance with CTT regulations, times have been rounded up to the nearest 0.2 i.e. 1/5th. Second.

Number Name Club Time Position
    31 S Gilzean IRC 02:15.8 1
    15 M Cook BRCC 02:22.6 2
    10 A Saunders HNCC 02:23.6 3
    24 D Farr icycle 02:26.0 4
    27 N J Fraser HNCC 02:30.2 5
    30 T Davies IRC 02:32.8 6
    20 R Witchell HNCC 02:37.8 7
    28 B Wilson HNCC 02:37.8 8
    19 M Anstee BRCC 02:45.8 9
    16 P Gell BRCC 02:50.2 10
    8 G Cooper BRCC 02:56.4 11
    2 J Roots BRCC 02:57.2 12
    22 D Course BRCC 02:57.4 13
    3 S Dixon CCA 02:59.4 14
    11 M Bannister BRCC 03:01.6 15
    7 N Tooke BRCC 03:07.6 16
    12 M Horton CCA 03:11.8 17
    26 J Izzo BRCC 03:12.2 18
    4 D Summerell HNCC 03:19.2 19
    14 N R Fraser HNCC 03:19.8 20
    23 M Gray BRCC 03:22.2 21
    6 P J Walker BRCC 03:35.2 22
    25 G Laming BRCC 03:48.2 23
    1 S Smith HNCC 04:07.6 24
    5 G Lamming BRCC 04:33.0 25

Did not start
    HNCC J Gomm, D Page, N Senechal.
    IRC P Jones.
    Freedom tri P French.

Total entered from competing clubs, 29. Total started 26
    Points allocation ( I think) First 29 points, second 28 points etc. etc.
    Based on this principle points are as follows.
    BRCC 197. HNCC 124. IRC 53. CCAshwell 29.

Thanks to Mark and Stef for upholding CCA honour, although we were last due to lack of riders.
    Inside 3 mins for Stef! The one to beat next sunday?
  • Timbo- surely a post HC/ Club Ride should include a post recovery ride beverage at the tuns...!!??

It is the social seaon after all!
  • Absolutely right, good idea. The HC should be over by 10.30. I guess people will want to carry on for a ride so shall we say meet in the Tuns 12- 12.30 for a well earned beer and a perusal of the result?
    I may have to scoot off but if I do I will leave the results with someone.
  • nice one Timbo

shame if you have to scoot, but more than happy to announce results
  • Results will be announced in 3 Tuns after Hill Climb and 'mini' Club Ride @ 12.30 ish by me, if Tim has to scoot

If you are not there and won it, the trophy goes to me!!! (joke!)

GOOD LUCK to all who go for it

Feel the pain!