Welcome to the forum

Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour 2012 - COMPLETED TODAY :-)

edited September 2011 in Sportives
if you're interested?

I'm in :-)

www.cycletour.co.za

Comments

• LEJOG mate!
  • edited March 2012
    Ouch! That was the hardest yet!

Still waiting for official time.

- 3:21 - elusive 3 hrs still outstanding!
    - av spd 20.5
    - top spd 47
    - av HR 179 !!! Holy pooh
    - conditions = 35 degs heat (race stopped later on due to ever increasing temp!), wind ? Oh yes, a nice steady headwind most of the way... That really sapped my energy :-(
    - just waiting for official times and positions.

And before you say it James.... Yes I realise I STILL haven't beaten your time! What was your position BTW? Obviously being a race that's the important bit ;-)

As always, a magnificent event, each year (this was number 4 for me) it just gets better & better... The adrenaline rush at the start is just awesome! Just so so hot today.... Also quite a few crashes I hear, including the elites!

It's all about next year now... Argus 2013
  • Well done Tim. That ave speed looks pretty good to me - good job.
  • Average HR 179 for over three hours? Bloody hell. I panic when I notice I've hit 180 even momentarily...
  • Nice one Tim. HR 179... I can't say you didn't try...
  • Top ride Timbo
    look forward to a full debrief soon :)
  • edited March 2012
    Cheers guys.

Official result below... And I am WELL CHUFFED!!!! I have improved my overall finishing position by 2724 places on last year 8-)))) was initially disappointed with my time but now I've seen the positioning I am over the moon!

Results For: [Sun 11/03/2012 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour (110km)]

Name Start Group Race Time Overall Position Gender Age Position Group Position Ave. Speed

Skelding, Tim G 3:21:13 2373/31236 M 270/3268 168/466 32.80 km/h

Now I'm totally stoked ( as they say out here!!)
  • To add to the good feelings you have have Tim, you have also beaten both Eddy Merckx (3.47.34) and Miguel Indurain (3.30.29)
  • edited March 2012
    Happy bloody days!

:-)

Going back up Chappies & Suikerbosse tomorrow for some more pain!!!
  • skelders

well done mate top ride that was all that pre training in portugal set you up nicely.

see you soon

strappy.
  • cheers again guys... now back to reality and the slightly cooler temperatures of Baldock! its frrrrrreeeeeezing!

MC - we need to talk about saturday :-)
  • From the current Cycling Weekly editorial:
    In all my 40 years of bike riding, [the Cape Argus] ranks as one of the most demanding days I've ever spent in the saddle... The temperature peaked at 42.3C on the Chapman's Peak climb... the organisers decided to enforce their time cut-offs... 6,000 riders were brought home in coaches... 1,000 of the 32,500 starters needing medical assistance.
    More kudos to Skelders.
  • edited March 2012

not quite as happy as at the start!!

This is near the top of Suikerbossie, the signature climb. while I was there it was 32 degs.
  • bloody hell- you got the kray twins as minders at the start!!??