Welcome to the forum

Turbo Trainer Advice

edited September 2011 in General
I am looking to buy myself a turbo trainer, but know as good as nothing about them.

I have been advised to buy one with magnets instead of a fan as it is quieter. I know you can spend an awful lot on a turbo, but I would be looking at something towards the lower end of the market. Does anybody have any reccomendations that would fit this description?

Thanks,
Bryn

Comments

• Cyclocross is better.

Still not a race every evening so the advice you have is good. Get one with a heavy fly wheel, eg Kurt Kinetic. I'm sure other brands have this fetaure as well.

Daniel
  • A friend of mine is selling a Tacx turbo trainer for, I think £50...... If that's any good for you, very little use !!
  • Bryn..turbo for power training and rollers for pedalling/core and most everything else......go with the advice and come to some roller sessions to get the skill...you will need it for any RSR sessions and pre race warm-up
  • I attempted to turbo my way through last winter and by November I'd become so completely and utterly cheesed of with it - its devils work! I'd recommend a slightly different tact - invest in a really decent set of quality lights so as you can road ride during those week day evenings, and then purchase a cheap turbo for when there's several inches of snow on the ground. Either way good luck, and the Tacx web site does have some very interesting/challenging sessions - definitely worth a look. Oh, and the Welwyn track training sessions begin v soon. They are excellent (road bikes allowed).
  • Phil, I'd not intended to use it too much. Do you reccomend any "quality lights", because I lack any decent front light?

Nigel, sounds great! Do you know the details of it? And how could I get in touch with him?
  • Geoff, when do those sessions start?
  • First Thursday in October Bryn...will sort hire of school and forum the details...will also see Andrew about Tuesday Cross-fit sessions at school and book hall

more details to follow.
  • MC, I will find out and get back to you ;-)
  • Turbo Trainer for sale is a Tacx Sirrus..... In very good condition with very little use, includes the Tacx trainer skewer... £50, I'm happy to pick it up so it's in Stevenage !!! Any interest.......
  • I use an Exposure front light and its absolutely excellent; simple, compact, and would thoroughly recommend. However they are not cheap. I would also advise reading some of the customer reviews on both Chainreaction's and Wiggle's web sites to gauge views on other alternatives. For the rear, I've always used a cateye and its never let me down. Cheers.
  • I have the same lamp as Phil; no doubt it is great. However this one is 4 times brighter and 1/3 the cost. here Chat to Theo, he seems to be up on this sort of thing.

Daniel
  • Yes, I would certainly be interrested in the turbo trainer.
  • Is the manual for the turbo still around? As I would likely struggle to fit the skewer etc with no prior experience of this.
  • Mate, the skewer just replaces the one that's on your rear wheel at the moment !!! I will find out about a manual but it's just a matter of putting ur bike on it and getting used to it, im sure there is adjustable resistance with this trainer too.......
  • Thanks, Dad says he knows what do to about that. I found a copy of the manual online, so don't worry about it.

Could you let your friend know I would be keen to buy the trainer asap?

Thanks,
    Bryn
  • I am in Stevenage mate, I could have it by the weekend if that's any good ? Regards. Nigel
  • Are there any times that are best for you? I'm afraid I'm quite busy this weekend.

I am over your way at about 6pm next Wednesday evening, is this suitable for you? I realise that this could well be too early for you to be there.

Thanks for all your help.
  • I will b about then, could meet u locally, in Stevenage ? Mc.Donalds/burger King on the roaring Meg ? PM me ;-) regards. Nigel