Welcome to the forum

Eastern Cross League Round 3 : Springfield Cross

edited September 2011 in Road Racing
By way of an experiment I will be taking the CCA trailer to Chelmsford tomorrow (Sept 25), my thinking being it could be advantageous to have muddy bikes on a trailer rather than inside our cars. Leaving Letchworth at 09:00. Let me know if you want me to take your bike (and/or back). I can also offer a lift to three people.
Daniel

Comments

• Just two passenger places left now!
  • edited September 2011
    It turns out Chelmsford is further east than it should be! Despite arriving on time (ish) my race had already reached the 80 rider limit. I was therefore faced with not riding at all or doing the Elite Vet ride at 14:00. Despite knowing almost nothing about animal health I made the wrong choice and paid my money. Phil K did make the sign on and rode a good race to finish 28th. Stevie also rode and despite grumbling a bit about the heat did well finishing 75th (25th percentile of the women).

CCA had 4 under 16’s in the next event, Cameron, Theo, Jon and Bryn. A furious start set the scene for a fast course. Cameron rode consistently the entire race, soon establishing himself in second position and fantastic place he ended the race with. Well done mate! Theo faded quite soon, not his day, and no doubt his form was affected by not enough sleep during the week (and no training). He finished 10th. Jon rode another very solid ride coming in 13th. Bryn on his first outing onto the cross circuit bagged a respectable 30th. Good to see a CCA squad.

Our friend from Welwyn Wheeler’s Daniel Maynard did a great ride posting a fifth place finish.

The Elite Veteran race features, Senior, Junior and Elite Verteran riders. Oh, and on this occasion, me. On the up side the race did last 60minutes, so 50% more fun for my money compared to the regular Vet event. It was hot and fast. I was terrified as my brakes are more vet and elite. Still despite assuming a seemingly unchallengeable last placing I am delighted to say a couple of lads from Lee Valley did tire and I could heroically creep past them. Thanks guys! After what felt like much more than an hour I collapsed at the line. NOT last and even 59th. Thanks to the consistent support from Theo and cheers and encouragement from the other CCA people. Mark despite getting tangled in some demarcation tape finished in 47th place.

Next week the racing comes to Baldock. The race is promoted by Hertfordshire’s premier cycling club. Come and support this excellent event and enjoy the marvellous spectacle that is cyclocross.

** HINT. Look at the sticky on this forum and volunteer to help. **
  • Nice write up Daniel,

cracking effort from the lads again, well done all. Sorry I missed it, but I had family commitments! I'll be back this weekend.

Lee
  • Daniel ,
    Thanks for taking Dan along. He seems to be more suited to steps than hurdles!

Dan commented that Bryn has a storming race given that he was on a mountain bike - one to watch I imagine.

The weather for the race was very different to last year - when there was no question of handing up bottles & the specators were doing their best to try & keep warm.

See you at the next one.