Welcome to the forum

basildon race

edited October 2011 in Road Racing
another great race in the eastern region cyclocross league.
the course was in a park and went up probably the only hill in essex. However the lack of hills in essex was made up for by this one, on the first section people almost fell backwards. It was a long circuit about 2miles something and the key was go fast up the hills and keep the speed up everywhere else.
the vets got of well to start with phill powering up the hills staying in the top 20. there were a lot of mechanicals to be seen one man did a whole lap without a chain. daniel managed to well up the course and passed a lot of people finishing 56th and phil 19th
in my race i had a good start and i was with another rider called tom on the first lap we were ahead of the field on the first lap and i managed to drop him on the big hill on lap 2 and finished first by a 59 second gap. I can't help but think that result would be differnt if cam and sean dunlea were there though.

Comments

• Theo.. an outstanding achievement....another 1st for you and CC Ashwell...Well done on a very tough course..
  • well done Theo, you must be right chuffed. great stuff
  • sorry forgot to post the rest of the youth race,
    Jon, bryn and ollie were there also for cca. Bryn and ollie did ecspeacialy well considering that it was only there second cross race and jon finished futher up the field just behind mitchell powel
  • Outstanding Theo - Other's not being there absolutely does not diminish your tremendous achievement. Well done.
  • edited October 2011
    It was a great hill, the Muur van Basildon, for spectators at least... I probably have some video of CCA riders in the vets and women race, but here are a few snaps in the meantime.

Mark (City Cycle Centre)

• Who would have thought there's a little bit of the Lake District in Basildon! That hill is as steep as Hardnott Pass; only with grass an not tarmac.

Theo was amazing. Getting a good start he established himself in the lead group in the first lap. Attacked up THAT HILL in the second and consolodated his lead in the third and final lap. He was 59second ahead of the second placed ride by the end. A storming ride. Well done son; I am so proud of you.

Worth mentioning that our friend from Welwyn Wheelers, Daniel Maynard, bagged third which is a great result.

We must not forget that Mark Wyer was also riding giving the club another very solid result in the Elite Vets.

Daniel
  • great stuff boys- and man!
  • Hills in photos never look as steep as they actually are. That one looks flipping steep in the photos, glad to see the cca boys managing to ride up it.
  • Blimey that looks hard!!.......Well done to all but especially Theo...great result..am really enjoying following progress and great to see you over come injury and WIN!!
  • cracking ride Theo, and you are now sat proudly at the top of the league table. well done mate. and CCA have 3 riders in the top 10 in the youth group. CCA are 7th in the club standings.
    Lee
  • Here's a video of the youth race. Obviously as its by me its a bit biased towards daniel but it does include a couple of clips of theo.

• Thanks for the videos Mark and Josh. Yes the hill really is hard.

Daniel
  • edited October 2011
  • just caught up with all of this...makes some really inspiring reading...you are rightly proud of Theo Daniel...and well done to all of the other CCA riders and Daniel M
    To see our young riders come through and perform so well augurs well for the future of the club. Not only do they compete across the board in different disciplines and win or come high up the rankings, they also ride well in the club rides and are good compsny on our rides.
    well done to you all....makes me proud to be a CCA rider
  • edited October 2011
    I've also uploaded a general video of the vets & women racing up The Hill.

*Warning: some viewers may find scenes of suffering disturbing. :)

Mark (City Cycle Centre)
  • edited October 2011
    The peak gradient was 21%. Ouch.
    From Eastern Cyclocross League - Round 5 (Veterans and Women)
  • edited October 2011
    21%, that’s about 1 in 5. It felt a great deal steeper than that! More like 1 in 3.

Daniel