Welcome to the forum

Friday 28th October.Dunstable Downs.

edited October 2011 in General
Thinking of going for a 60-80 miler on Friday maybe towards Chilterns at Dunstable area weather permitting and wind directions , maybe stop for cafe stop halfway.Nothing too quick 16-17mph avg. Meet 3 Tunns 1000hrs.

Comments

• I'm off Friday 8-)

May well be up for that.
  • Me too ;-) could have a bit of this......Do you have a route in mind ?
  • edited October 2011
    Sounds good Mick. I'll see if I can free my day. Shaun

Here's my list of cafes in the area: ;)
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vpsrc=6&ctz=-60&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=202284887819275639301.0004affd2e4183bb33c8a&t=m&ll=51.840869,-0.613174&spn=0.400485,0.490952&z=11
  • edited October 2011
    Cheers Shaun , thinking of either going out towards Woburn and cutting across to Chilters or out to Barton ,Whipsnade .If anyone knows any good routes around chilterns please do tell .
  • Deal me in Mick!
  • fancy getting it up to the ton?
  • I think we'd need to start before 10 for the ton mate !!!! To do it at a "steady" pace.......
  • I`m up for the ton but would find it hard to get there b4 0930 due to school run and dog walking.
  • how about, for the 'ton'ers' we start a tad earlier and meet you at 10 at the Tuns?
  • Sunset at 5.42pm on Friday. It might work if we can pick Mick up on the way...we're heading SW...
  • edited October 2011
    I`ve just remembered it`s half term I can do what I like and the wife`s out the country :)))))..Carry on Skelders where we meeting and when?
    PS nice one Chris need your mapping skills for this one .
  • Happy days !!! It's gonna be hard going if this wind stays up.....
  • I often use this rough route to get across to the Chilterns going SE of Luton: Baldock, Preston, Bendish, Hyde, Kinsborne Green, Markgate. About 26 miles Ashwell to Markgate.

It's about the shortest way and lanes all the way (but a bit lumpy)...
  • 4MPH WSW according to BBC 5day ,anyway Skelders is on the front all the way out you wont feel a thing .
  • edited October 2011
    I can do a GPS route for my 705, if you tell me roughly where we want to go...
  • Sounds good Shaun but will then be doing 40+in Chilterns, if we go via Woburn (which has some nice cafe`s) it would add some miles on and then head for Chilterns from there , what do you think?
  • happy to go on the front.... just NEVER ask me to do the navigation!!! or else it really will be a long ride!

08:00 Tuns?
  • Shaun was think that along the lines of : Ashwell,Old Walden ,Ampthill ,Steppingley,Woburn,Eversholt,Tebworth,Dunstable Downs and Chilterns , back via Redbourne ,Luton Hoo,Preston and back to Ashwell.
  • edited October 2011
    So how about Ashwell to Woburn 30 miles. Coffee stop?

Then head south via Eaton Bray, Ivinghoe etc, for a few Chiltern Hills. Followed by a lunch stop (Ashridge cafe (outdoors) or Marsworth cafe (indoors)??) - 35 miles.

Back via Whipsnade (Bison Hill), Markyate and the route I posted earlier - 35 miles

Possible? Did you have anywhere in mind in the Chilterns?
  • as far away from that white leaf bump or wardrobe as possible!!! I think that's what they were called... ouch!!!
  • edited October 2011
    Cross posted at the same time as your route! Your route is good and pretty similar...
  • OK mate stick it in the Garmin and where good to go. Off to work now see you all Wednesday.
  • If you've got the route for garmin pls post on here then I can stick it in mine too ;-) thanx
  • And me 8-)

If you wouldn't mind showing/ telling me how to do it??? New toy and all that???
  • I've created a banging 100 mile route, based on Mick's ideas! You can view it here:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=323336

It's just about 100 miles dead - Ashwell to Ashwell! There are three serious lumps between 50 and 75 miles - Aston Clinton, Ashridge Park (after Berkhamsted) and Bison Hill (Whipsnade). Opportunities for coffee / bacon sarnies at Stockgrove CP after Woburn (32 miles) or shops/cafes at Woburn (27 miles). Possible lunch stop at (outdoor) cafe near Ashridge Monument (65 miles). There are also cafes at Marsworth (47 miles) and Wilstone Green (50 miles) if we just want to stop once, around the halfway point.

You can download a GPS file via the "summary" tab. I'm assuming you guys have Garmin Edge 605/705/800? If you do, I'd suggest downloading as a TCX (garmin course). Stick in a course name, e.g. "Chilterns" and use the download file tcx option. You'll get a file called course.tcx downloaded to your PC somewhere. Then copy that file across to your garmin. (605/705: to a folder called garmin/courses, 800 I'm not so sure, but think it's a folder called garmin/newfiles?). Alternatively, you could try the direct download to the GPS unit but I've never done that so don't know if it works. Note track stops in Baldock intentionally to avoid same start/end point issues that can affect some GPSs.

Looking forward to this!
    Shaun
  • Is it 8am at the 3 tuns then ?
  • Cheers Shaun, all done, it's on the Garmin now..... Roll on Friday ;-)
  • Finally sussed it... Thanks for your help Shaun 8-)
  • Just to confirm....8am at the tuns ?
  • hi newbie

i was on the original plan, so am out soz

have a good one!