Welcome to the forum

Cyclocross Training, Saturday October 29th

edited October 2011 in Youth
Mark Wyer has kindly volunteered to run some cyclocross training on Saturday at our Grasstrack in Ashwell. Targetted to youth riders, this session will run from 10:00 until 12:00.

You will need an offroadbike and a strong bladder (as there are no toilets).

Please add you name in a reply below if you plan to come.

So far the list looks like this;
Jon (Youth A)
Theo (Youth A)
Daniel (Youth OAP)
Cameron (Youth A)
Oliver (Youth B)
Stewart (Youth Clydsdale)

Mark (Youth Coach)
Geoff (Youth Coach)

Comments

• If Daniel is recovered from his tonsilitis he will come along. (Youth A)

If I am feeling very brave I may well dust off my mountain bike & come along too. (Youth in spirit)
  • Please add Henry to the list, will confirm tomorrow.
  • Please sign me up too (Youth A)
  • Hopefully I'll be there as well
  • Henry & I will b there 8-)
  • 8 yr old new member James Fraser will be there too, along with me and the current Mrs Fraser.

Mark F
    City Cycle Centre
  • Edward will be there, 12 yr old.

Alistair
  • Unfortunately Henry doesn't feel well today so will not be attending. 8-(
  • Thank you Mark
    Really enjoyed the session

Alison
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks very much Mark W and Geoff - it was great fun all round and excellent skills training. At 8 years old James happened to be the only younger youth rider there, and Mark W asked me to add a few comments about the session from that point of view:-

- Mixing skillful, rapid 14-16 yr olds (and not-quite-so-rapid parents like me) with much younger, smaller riders is no problem. I'm sure the older youths were conscious of the speed & size differential and rode safely accordingly.

- All exercises were just as suitable for under-10s as for older riders. A younger rider might not cover the ground as quickly as older youths, but there was nothing at all that couldn't be tackled.

- As you would expect, no-one puts down anyone else (with the possible exception of one or two sons making fun of their own creaky old dads, but that's what dads are for, obviously). Riders all encouraged each other, whatever their age or ability. No-one should worry about whether they can manage the session.

- Two hours' training might sound like quite a lot for very young riders, but there are plenty of opportunities for breaks and water while the coach explains or demonstrates the next exercise. James somehow found the time to polish off a fair-sized flapjack during the session too.

I hope this encourages other youngsters to come along to the next session that Mark W & Geoff arrange.

Mark F

• It was a pleasure Mark...good to see your lad James there
    ..welcome to CCAshwell James
    I too enjoyed the session and Mark's coaching was a revelation....Thank you for the session Mark.....Cyclo-cross is clearly your passion and this showed in the way you shared your knowledge.

I would very much like to see many more young riders trying this activity. We have all the necessary facility for training and riding this type of cycling at our grounds so let's see more there on Saturday 3rd Dec. for the next one.

Others who wish to try this do go along to mark's sessions on Wednesdays at Knights Templar.