Welcome to the forum

Mistley Cross'

edited October 2011 in Road Racing
On an overcast but surprisingly warm day, the Eastern Cyclo-Cross League descended on Mistley. The tough and technical course made for great racing to watch, but was tough to ride. The tight bends and sharp inclines were made far, far more difficult by the dry conditions, which made the loose leaves and mud incredible treacherous.

I fell many times on this surface, which was incredibly frustrating. Despite this, I personally took many positives from the race where I came in 23rd. It was good to see Stevie Wyer in the women's race, finishing a strong 10th, and Phil Keen in the Vets, coming a good 38th. It was also great to see James Fraser (U10) riding his first cross' race and finishing in a brilliant 24th.

Another good show from CCA.

Comments

• Also, it was a good feeling when, after the race, a gentleman approaches me asking 'where the rest of the Ashwell team were'. CCA has evidently developed a real presence in the cross' league.
  • edited October 2011
    A very good report from Bryn, who did very well indeed within the super-competitive youth category on a course with a lot of climbing & descending.

I wasn't able to catch any footage of Bryn, I'm afraid, but here's a two minute video of Phil & Stevie in the vets & women's race, and James in the sprogs' race.
  • With good weather over the last few weeks the course was a different challenge to the normal ‘mudfest’ that it can be!

I started on the 4th row of the grid and as you can see in above video got a rubbish start (my own fault! wrong gear!!) which meant i spent the first lap trying to gain places (again see video!!) but “over did it” and ‘blew up’ in the middle (see video!!) but just held it together for the last lap to be my fastest lap!! Finished 38th out of 58 which is my worst performance of the season (and yes it is captured on video!!)

With the efforts of Stevie, Bryn and James this weekend CCA are in 7th position in the Club rankings.

Next race is at Grafham on Sunday 13th November 2011 – the Vets & Womens race is at 11am, Under 12s at 12 o’clock, the Youth start at 12.45 and Seniors/Junior/Elite at 1.45pm – see you there!!
  • edited November 2011
    I've uploaded a short video of the women's race at Mistley here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EasternCyclocross

Mark