Welcome to the forum

hempton cross race

edited November 2011 in Road Racing
IT was a long misty drive to the race. Daniel, Bryn, Cam and I all loaded in Stewarts car egar to get ridding. the course was on common land just outside a small village. It started i the woods, then round a couple of turns out onto twisty moorland. This went round for a bit then over a log which had to be bunny hoped, after that it went down a steep hill, straight onto a single hurdle up a steep hill which was covered in heavy sand. If you were skilled enough you could bunny hop the hurdle then ride up the hill, but that would be very hard. the race then went through an extremly steep 15ft dip which you had to be careful not to get air on. It twisted through some ferns onto the finishing straight were it went through another set of woods with big lumps and tight corners. once it came out of there it went over 2 hurdles and back down to the start. In my opinion it was a hard fast course but my most faveroute so far.

DANIEL had a smooth start and held his position just behind some south schills riders. he was making good time running up the hill, but he wasn't as fat jumping on the bike. in the middle of the race he got a bit dropped but on the last couple of laps he really went for it and beat a south schills guy to the line.

I had a good start and i was just behind Sean Dunlea (the guy that always wins). i kept behind him through the moor but he decided to try and bunny hop the hurdle and ride up the hill. i ran straight past him and was leading the race. although it wasn't long before he caught me, Cam and i got together with just a small gap between us and sean. on the second laps finishing straight i felt my pedal was a bit loose and i made a mental note of that. unfortunatly on the first corner in the woods the whole pedal came out and i fell staright down. i got up and carried on running the race, with my peadal still clipped into my shoe. i had to run a long why watching people pass me through the tight bends. finally i swapped bikes on to my dads bike with the seatpost put up. he rides a 52cm and i ride a 58cm this meant that it was a bit tricky through the corners and out of the saddle, because i had to reach so far down to the handlebars. i manged to catch up 4 about places finishing 7th. by the end reaching low for the bars had given me bad back pain.

CAM also had a good start but was a bit cut up through the first corner but just before the finish straight he was with me just behind Sean. for another lap we were keeping a small gap behind Sean but Cam lost me my peadal came out. He was bombing round the course trying to catch up Sean, so fast that he had a little fall on a corner. about halfway through the last lap it was clear cam wasn't going to catch Sean. that mean the gap grew a tad, but Cam had shown how close he was to Seans level.

BRYN started well showing good technique running up the hill and on his mounts and dismounts. Bryn was slightly futher down the field than last week but this is because last week Me, Cam and Sean were at nationals. Bryn finished 15th which is showing sigood improvement.

Comments

• Good report.. A great showing for CCA.. Lots of the crowd shouting encouragement to All the CCA representatives... Les Blues are on the map !!!.. Anna also put in a good Show..Well done All.
  • well done everyone! Unlucky Theo, it sounded like you were strong and excluding the mechanical you would have been up there.