Welcome to the forum

Bike lights

edited November 2011 in General
Hi guys,

In need of some decent bike lights for an hours commute to and from cambridge in the pitck black... something to make me visible and also light the road in front...

Any suggestions on lights? Or what sort of power I should be looking for and expecting out of the light?

Cheers,

Dave.

Comments

• I've bought these recently and been very happy. The beam pattern is excellent and they are bright. Certainly possible to ride in the pitch black.

For safety lights I am mightily impressed by Knog Frog Strobe lights. Easy to fit and remove when you lock up your bike. The rear can been seen from 'miles' away.

Good luck.

Daniel
  • I bought this light a couple of months ago from a Hong Kong supplier via eBay.

It's ridiculously bright at 1200 LM, ridiculously cheap at £15 (incl. postage to the UK), and comes with comedy Chinese-English instructions.

So far it has been fantastic.

Mark
  • Jokes! There is more than a 'passing resemblance' between Mark's lamp and my own. I suspect Lumenjunkies might be sourcing from the Hong Kong supplier! The spec is more or less the same and as I imply the lamp and parts look identical.

Bright idea Mark!

Daniel
  • They do look somewhat similar!!

Cheers guys,

Dave.
  • I originally found out about the lights from this thread: http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61664

To save reading it all, though, a key recommendation (and I suspect this is rather important...) is to charge it somewhere where you can keep an eye on it. There are anecdotal reports of early chargers catching fire.

Since I bought mine a 1800 Lm version has become available. Presumably this can burn down bigger houses than my 1200 Lm version can.

Mark
  • The batteries are 'protected' meaning that when the voltage reaches a certain level the circuit is opened. In other words it is the battery that is clever not the phone charger that comes in the box. Perhaps a more heavy duty charger can be used instead.

I understand the batteries should not be completely discharged as they will be damaged. Aparently they cannot be overcharged.

Daniel
  • Looks like a brilliant deal - just note 1,200 lumens? I stop traffic with my Exposure Joystick at 300lm. You might annoy/bedazzle a few drivers if you're not careful.
    null
  • In my experience, an annoyed/bedazzled driver won't claim 'sorry mate I didn't see you'...........