Welcome to the forum

Top Tips from a burgled cyclist

edited November 2011 in General
Ladies & Gents,

I thought i would pop a few tips on the forum regarding the recent thieving activity. That is, tips to help the cyclist not the thieves!! Some are common sense, some are recommendations from our friends in blue that i have recently received!

2011 has seen, to my knowledge, four is it five now? members having their pride and joys stolen. The Police have done a sterling job as the ongoing investigation is going well. can't say more not wishing to ruin their hard work! so hope this helps:

1) SERIAL NUMBERS Come on, be honest, how many of you have them noted down??? i didn't and its the first thing I was asked for!! if you haven't, go take them now!!

2) where are they stored? it needs to be better than a shed! if pos, chain it to a concrete floor - brackets available from halfords. apparently most thieves aren't interested in destroying your frame to get the bike (the odd one wants the components but on the whole it will deter)

3) Insurance - if you have your bike as a specified item - YOU WILL NEED THE RECEIPTS! For all the components and everything if you've added to it etc

4) DON'T DISCUSS/ADVERTISE YOUR BIKES ON THE FORUM Members are not the only ones who can see your posts (to my knowledge) so why tell the world what you have and their value??? kind of giving out a shopping list really???

5) If you think something is out of place... trust your instinct, it usually is! My gates had been tampered with 1 month BEFORE I got burgled... coincidence ?? i don't think so! and neither did the Police.

6) Bottom line is, if they want to get in to your property, they will, however if you can make it as difficult as possible, which will require time & above all noise, then the chances are they will go elsewhere.

7) Finally - if in doubt - keep it in the house!!

Hope this helps... hopefully the gang will be shut down soon but watch this space!!

:-}

Comments

• Top tips Billy,

Im just off to check my frame numbers now, feed the Rottweiler (just a snack, keep him hungry) and check the Wallace and Gromit approved electro-matic defence system!!
  • good idea Tim... think i'll reduce the feeding on my hounds too!!
  • edited November 2011
    Just starting to register my property at 'immobilise'. A free web based service that is searched by police forces and is supported by Hertfordshire Constabulary as well as other forces in the UK.

http://www.immobilise.com/index.php