Welcome to the forum

MTB Tire Recommendations

edited December 2011 in Cyclocross/Offroad
All,

My wife Tansy is struggling on a pair of Panaracer FireXCPro's - I pulled 4 thorns out on our Christmas Eve ride and punctures have become a regular occurance since we put them on a couple of months ago. Just had a peek in the garage and I can see two more slow punctures will need sorting after yesterday's ride.

Unfortunately, the Panaracer's were suggested to me as a puncture resistant choice; combined with my very constructive 'why don't you just avoid trails next to hedgerows', I'm in a bit of a deficit here.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Adam

Comments

• go tubeless with 2.1 trailrakers and you'll never have a thorn puncture again....
  • Every thorn I have pulled out is about 1cm long so I don't think there is a tyre out there which is resistant. Riding next to hedge which has just been trimmed is a bit like Russian roulette.

Mtb Tyres are just like road Tyres in that the lighter you go the thinner and therefore less robust they become.

Panaracer xc are one of.the lightest Tyres you can get so draw your own conclusions.

I asked the same question to a fellow a few.weeks ago before winter set in and apparently Conti speed king are good. But then it gets sticky and you have to get the mud tyres out and I havent an answer for this yet.
  • Nothing will stop the thorns puncturing except going full on tubeless.

I use Nobby Nics pretty much all year round, but Trailrakers are great for the Bedfordshire mud.
  • edited December 2011
    On my MTB I run what are widely known as the only 'bulletproof' bike tyres: Schwable Marathon Plus, run them for a year and a half now, 700-750 miles (depends how measure it) but I've only had one puncture and that was on-road with nail - felt this bump bump bump bump and thought crap what's going on, a nail had gone right through and the bummp was it hitting the metal of the wheel every time it went round! Pulled it out, repaired, and done another 200 odd miles since on them!

The only downside: these mothers are heavy. But if you're just riding non-muddy-summer-trails/commuting they are great. Serious offroading/wet mud, look elsewhere
  • when I eventually wore out a set of trailrakers I counted 14 thorns that had failed to cause a puncture in my tubeless set up....living around here its a no brainer :-)
  • Would like to know if you run tubeless with Stan's No Tubes?
  • All,

Many thanks for some helpful thoughts.

Although I have convinced Tansy to become a part time roadie come Spring, this isn't the best solution for a couple of mudders at heart. Have never run on tubeless but sounds like worth having a go - used to race on Panaracer XCs in Canada with great results but didn't often have to deal with thorns there either.

The concern of course is that we do find a solution and I'll be left for dust!

Cheers,
    Adam