Welcome to the forum

Eastern Cyclocross League Team Event - Feb 4th

Following the success of the CCA Cyclocross Championships I am delighted to encourage you to join the Eastern Cyclocross Team Event on February 4th. This will be at Bury St Edmunds. So far the teams look like this;
Elite Vets: Mark Wyer, Lee Holmes
Vets: Stevie, Jackie, Daniel, Phil K, Stephen Davies, Julian Pegg, Nigel Goater
Junior: Ed Goater
YOUTH: Theo, Cameron, Jon, Bryn, Fiona
U14: Oli
U12:James, Felix, Noah

Who else?

More information here

Daniel

Comments

• Bringing this to the top - not too late to decide to come!

Daniel
  • The team is coming together!
    Vets:
    Stevie Wyer,
    Jackie Field,
    Daniel Doncaster,
    Stephen Davies,
    Tim Skelding.

YOUTH:
    Theo Doncaster,
    Cameron Woolsey,
    Jon Chapman,
    Bryn Davies,

U14:
    Oliver Woolsey,
    Henry Skelding

U12 and U10
    James Fraser
    Felix Field
    Noah Field

Daniel
  • Anyone lend me a bike?
  • am sure Mark Wyer could help here James
  • James, lift if you need it?
    Also I'm using my MTB 8-}
  • Daniel, William Skelding has expressed an interest to join the under 10's Team if there's space???
  • William should definitely come. The team aspect of the event is very loose - the first three finishers from any club count as that club's scorers, no matter how many riders from that particular club take part. So, the more the merrier!
  • Welcome James! Don't worry if you can't rustle up a cross bike, plenty of people use mountain bikes.

All Skeldings should come!

Daniel
  • So Daniel, i am now in this event and looking forward to it. Please could you give me a few Top Tips... like - How do you play this game for starters? and also it looks rather cold tomorrow but all the pics I have seen of u guys seem to show you hardened cross boyz in shorts!!! what's the SP???
  • What a great event! A tad chilly to say the least but all three Skeldings - Vet, U14 & U12 - all thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back. As it was our first time, we all started on the back of the grid in our various age groups so at least we had a good pack to follow! For those who haven't tried it, and to be fair Daniel, Phil & Mark have been singing it's praises to me for ages, go try it! It's great fun, hard work but just great! My best comparison is it's like a Time Trial in the woods and over fields! It's full on and doesn't stop until you hear the wonderful bell toll!!! I was on my MTB (as were my boyz) and it was fine.

Well done to all the CCA reps, especially Cameron & Theo who were magnificent in their race - Cam won and Theo finished third! Great to watch these lads show us how it should be done!

Loved it!!
  • edited February 2012
    CC Ashwell got a fantastic result at the Eastern Cyclocross League Team Championships on Saturday. A strong showing with some outstanding performances meant there was a draw for the overall team winner. Congratulations go to Colchester Rovers as they had more wins than us. SHUCKS! We were so close; I reckon we only needed another rider to have tipped the balance in our favour.

The vets were well represented with new boy Timothy Skelding riding an absolute scorcher. You should do this more often mate! The other three Ashwell riders, myself, Stephen (Davies) and Stuart (Field) crossing the line in further down the field, but never the less adding to the points haul.

The women rode a cracking race with Jackie Field securing 2nd place and Stevie Wyer 5th. These are not only great results but crucial results for this championship. It’s great to see any rider doing well, but it is especially encouraging to see women racers from CCA succeeding.

The Youth events featured 3 in the U16 and 2 in the U14. Theo crashed out early in the first lap and struck a metal fence. Despite battling hard to regain second place for most of the race couldn’t hold off the consistent pressure from James Tapley (now Lee Valley) and so finished 3rd. Cameron lead confidently and comfortably to take the win. Still a bloodied leg bore witness that his race had not been without incident. Bryn finished 14th, still feeling an earlier chest infection. Lee Valley had amassed a legion of riders for this race and through pure quantity won the Youth trophy.

More Skelding action, this time in the U14. Henry Skelding and Oli Woolsey represented us here. Henry coming in 12th and Oli 14th.

There’s more to report!

We had 3 riders in the U12. James Fraser (8th), Noah Field (9th), Felix Field (18th).

And finally ANOTHER Skelding! William Skelding rode in the U10 coming in 12th.

(Sorry not too many details on these races as at the time I was foraging for food and comfort after my own event).

Full results here

Daniel
  • edited February 2012
    Well done everyone, as ever. Very amusing comment over at our friends Beds RCC's forum:-

"Oi, fellahs, we've been done by wimmin! They've only gone and made it a vets and wimmin comp. So Newmarket and Ashwell wot did naff all in the mens get above us cos they took sum birds along!
    That's rowlocks that is."

Extra motivation for the inter-club time trials...? :)
  • Regarding the U12 race:-

West Suffolk Wheelers designed a more technical course than most of the Eastern League U12 circuits, with a couple of short steep inclines that were used in the youth/vets/senior circuit, and a tricky woodland section, and I think the U12s enjoyed this.

All the CCA U12s handled the course well, showing good skill with their dismounts/remounts, and with very determined performances. Noah had his best result of the season, finishing in 9th place. Felix finished strongly after being ill recently. William enjoyed his debut, I believe, and hopefully he has caught the cyclocross bug ready for next season. James was gridded with a good start position because quite a few of the faster U12 riders weren't there, but he started poorly after slipping off a pedal. He finished 8th overall and was the third-placed U10 rider.
  • Well done everyone, and what a terrific result. I'm so not looking forward to Bryn, Theo and Cameron all passing me on the club ten - you guys are worthy of much respect...brilliant.