Welcome to the forum

5th Feb - Mountain bike ride?

edited February 2012 in Cyclocross/Offroad
As the snow becomes increasingly settled, and subject to the continuing snowy conditions making the tarmac ever more impassable, I'm Contemplating a mountain bike ride tomorrow - it'll be the usual 9am start from the usual place. The ground will be frozen so going should be firm...... and FUN! Any takers?

Comments

• If Beds Road is off.... Which as the forecast is snow ALL night most likely will be.... Defo up for that :-)
  • I'm up for it, is it suitable for a cross bike?
  • hm. tried the cyclo cross on a similar day last year. perhaps the mountain bike will be a little more stable.
    will try to join you for a couple of hours but with the kids waking up to snow i may be a very unpopular dad if i bugger off for a bike ride.
    this dilemma will work itself out by the morning.
    hope to see you guys out tomorrow.
  • Mountain bike recommended guys. Cheers.
  • might come out phill but I'd be on a cross bike
  • what makes it unable to do on a cross bike?
  • I'm not certain as to the capabilities of a cross bike, however, I'm very familiar with MTB's. Hence, I was airing on the side of knowledge and caution - it's your choice. That said, there's nothing too extreme in these parts.
  • Theo
    doable on a cross bike but difficult to get out of deep ruts on narrower tyres and as you know they are a bit tricky to recover from front end slides. MTB is a bit more armchair and stable. As i have both I will opt for the MTB in these conditions. Still in flux as ever. Jane has had to drive her sister to Adenbrookes for a problem with a fractured ankle so still very unsure whether i will be getting out tomorrow.
  • Conditions perfect for an MTB outing - we are go go go! Remember; come prepared. Depending on speed and abilities aiming to get to Pegsdon Hills.
  • Looks like I'm on sledging duties with the kids!!! MTB ride later with luck? But unfortunately not at 09:00 8-(
  • thanks vince and phil
    but i couldn't come out today (sustained a hand injury from the race yesterday and i dont want to make it worse)
  • Great ride, Thanks to Phil and Vincent, Daniel says thanks as well.
  • You're welcome guys. It was certainly a ride that tested our bike handling skills to the limit, often resulting in a few tumbles. But, best of all, that's the most laughes I've had on a bike ride.......ever! Cheers.