Welcome to the forum

Project Italia 90

edited February 2012 in Members only
No one seems to be using the members only page. Only signed up members can see this remember.

Hopefully heres a sneak preview of the beginnings of my early 90s Italian build.

Comments

• Looks like you're missing a headset ;-)
  • early days :-)
  • wow
    what is it? those lugs look like wilier but then they went bust in the 50's and only came back recently.
    is it a tommasini or a rossin?
    never the less chrome lugs and pearlecent paint makes for an awsome combination
  • Trevor Jarvis frame with "Fleur de Lys" lugs? Using mad "flying gate" geometry?
  • You kept you eye on it then! It's a beauty. What parts will you build it up with, early ergo?

Daniel
  • ...I know what it is!
  • Funnily enough, im trying to find a flying gate, but no its not that. Theo, i can see where you are coming from with the Willier thing but no. You can just see the head badge.

Im going pre ergo C Record. Got the deltas but headset is proving tricky at the mo. Hope to have it on the road late spring, will keep you posted.

Anyone else got new toys for the spring?
  • fillet brazed 853 dave yates
    carbon forks
    deda finishing kit
    record/chorus 10speed groupset
    record/chorus hubs on mavic relfex tubular rims
  • edited February 2012
    Check this out Tim NOW Also Mario might have something defietsenmaker.nl Daniel

Er 1990's Shamals is the answer to your question!
  • Update... Brakes, headset, levers, wheels got. Still a way to go.

• That's one hell of a head tube Tim. Is this a touring frame to take you through and beyond middle age :)
  • touring frame? cheeky bugger. Thats a Coppi Reparto corse (racing dept) barocco.

Mind you, with me on it, it will be more touring speeds. Actually a leather saddlebag might look rather good. maybe ill go youth hostelling on it!
  • I had Delta brakes in the late 80s / early 90s on the bike below. It was quite a cutting-edge TT bike at the time.

Delta brakes looked fantastic, and they were great if you didn't mind carting their bulk around and didn't want to actually slow down when you pulled your brake levers... :)

• Whoa, that is fantastic!! one hell of a saddle to bar drop! Have you tried riding it recently? i have something not dissimilar albeit with 700c front wheel and i tried riding it last year. Nearly crippled me.

Yes, youre right about the brakes, gorgeous to look at, an engineering marvel but not very good at making you stop. Minor detail.
  • edited February 2012
    I sold it a few years ago to a fella was emigrating to Thailand to set up a bicycle museum (!) I thought he was a timewaster until one day an envelope stuffed with banknotes arrived in the post. There was no signature required, no sender details, no accompanying note - just the cash.

I've always had a very low position on road bikes and TT bikes, and the position on the Telfer bike was fine. But I must admit that I struggled to adapt to the position on my current TT bike:-

• I hope you sold the Telfer for some good money. I just saw a 1st gen, record rear derailleur the same as the Telfers and fairly scratched sell for nearly £400!!!!
  • Just about finished. haven't ridden it yet, needs a nice warm sunny day. Maybe next year then.

Not sure about the pedals, i want to go with looks but think i need to go a bit older
  • Class Tim....awesome looking bike...another classic!!!
  • For authenticity, I guess you'd really want to find original C-Record pedals - the "aero" ones with integrated toe-clips:-

They weren't very popular, as I remember. I had a pair of Shimano's effort at the same kind of concept, and they were quite difficult to use.

Otherwise, Record or Super Record quill pedals?
  • tasty looking bike tim