Welcome to the forum

Hog hill 17th march

edited March 2012 in Road Racing
Cold and rain: no the best conditions for a road race at hog hill. On the start line Jon Bryn and I stood in the wet, waiting for the commissar to finally start the race. “You will race for 40mintes... off you go!” I didn’t have a great start but after a bit of fumbling I clipped in and joined the group. For those of you that don’t know Hog hill, it’s basically a 2km circuit with a massive hill in it. We got near the bottom of the hill (which leads straight into the finish line) and already a puncture. The conditions made it all the more interesting, for a start it was freezing and wet; the rain soaked the front of my short sleeved jersey, so going down the hill with the wind blowing on it, isn’t the most pleasant thing. Then there was visibility, you’re going too fast to not wear any glasses, but with glasses the fog up immediately and the dirt road spray goes all over them, at one point I had almost no visibility, on the fastest and hardest corner in the race, all I could see were the bright orange cones either side of the track. Anyway after about 3 laps I managed to lose the group on just after the hill, I did about 2 laps on my own when suddenly I felt a lot stronger. If only I had felt like this in the group, I was catching people up but I couldn’t see who, it turned out to be a part of the main group. So me and two other riders set about pursuing the rest of the group. They were pretty tired so I did the work on the front. We were keeping a steady gap of 30 seconds on the group, but after a while we realised that it wasn’t going to happen. By this point it was just me and a rider called tom. But at about the furthest point from the finish line tom punctured. I was on my own again, but I wasn’t slowing down. A couple of laps later I noticed a strong rider had broken free from the cashing group he was a bit behind but I didn’t want to give him any advantage. I was in the clear now I wasn’t going to catch the group and nobody would catch me, Just tom who by now should have changed his wheel and got put back in the race. The next lap, sure enough tom gets put into the position he was before he punctured. However the chasing rider also had a mechanical, but when the race organisers but him back in the race (4laps to go) they put him in with me and tom, when he should have been put in miles behind. Luckily it was time for tom to return the favour he went on the front and I held his wheel, by the last lap it was just me and him we’d left the chasing rider (Archie). It was coming up to the finish I went for the long run attempt and started racing up the hill. He was behind but as the finish came closer he came nearer and nearer. He was right beside me, I threw my bike over the line but I think he got it. It turned out the group in front only had 4 riders so I came 6th. Quite a fun race, considering the weather.
race

Comments

• Well done to our tough U16 squad. It was a hard, hard day for racing on a hard circuit. What Theo doesn't mention is that the race changed from being 40 minutes long to 60 after it has started, so they had to re-adjust their game plan whilst the rain and cold was sapping at their strength (we all know what that is like).

The official result has Theo as 5th.

Proud dad.
  • Well done lads, that looks proper grim. great picture
  • Theo, agreed, When hog hill is cold,wet and windy it's a pretty unpleasant place to be, there's no place to hide and that climb! But you persevered and ground out a tremendous result - 5th is nothing short of incredible, your father would be proud.
  • Results:
    Theo :5th
    Me :15th
    Bryn :28th
    pretty tough race!
  • That's really going some lads..........a great result....well done. You are taking shape as a team and the closer you get together in terms of fitness and racing savvy the more of a force you will become.......let the other clubs feel the effect of a team working for eachother.
  • Really impressive guys - well done. Looking forward to having my legs ripped from under me during this year's chaingang outings!