Welcome to the forum

Eagle Road Race

edited April 2012 in Road Racing
Carmelo, Jason and I rode the Eagle Road Race yesterday on a course not too far from home near Great Chesterford. A fabulous spring sunny morning, but it was bloody cold and a bit breezy!

It was my first race of the season and I had, only what can be described as a shocker!.

Got dropped about 1 ½ laps in, spent the next lap trying to get back in touch with 5 other blokes (including Carmelo) chain gang stylie, then gave up about half way round when the group disintegrated, Carmelo went off the front and that was it. I stopped at Wendens Ambo to watch the race come through (as well as the Glade CC E,1&2 race that was running on the same course), then rode back to HQ and home.

It was a tough course, hilly (but then I knew that coz I know those roads pretty well) and that wind was nasty . I felt pretty pee'd off with myself. Never really got going, I was at the back of the field even in the neutralised zone and never really moved up, so felt like I was chasing all the time.

However there was some solace in the fact that the report on the BC website says

Tom Stephenson of Colchester CC prevailed in a 62 mile race on a very tough course in Great Chesterford.
Only 23 riders from a starting field of 60 managed to complete the event on a circuit which featured lots of climbing.
The end of the race saw a bunched sprint finish up a hill and it was the 32-year-old Essex rider who mustered up the strength to take the win.
Lubomir Bleak of Welwyn Wheelers finished three bike lengths behind Stephenson with the rest of the pack, led by Mark Garfield (Fenland Clarion) some 20 metres behind.
Stephenson said: “There was a big two-stage hill on the course and a very strong northerly wind which made it tough going.
“A few small attempts were made to get away but no one really managed it. I think towards the end, everyone was just mutually suffering.
“When I came up to the hill, I just tried to keep the pace as high as possible and I think that worked.”

So I don’t feel as bad this morning. Must try harder next time. Which will be on Sunday at Fleche Welwyn. Fingers crossed I can do a bit better. I think Pete and Jason are riding as well.

Lee

Comments

• Lee, good report, sounds brutal but it's all good experience to take into next weeks race.

This is ominous for me though as yes I'm riding the Fleche Welwyn which will be my first of the season.

if nothing else, you'll have company if you retire early next Sunday.
  • nice one lee
    good luck for the fleche