Welcome to the forum

La Ronde Picarde, Saturday September 8

edited April 2012 in Sportives
Anyone interested in this cyclosportive? Starts in Abbeville about 60 miles south of Calais. 185 kilometres, 1500m climbing. There are also a couple of shorter options (131 km and 53 km). Organized by the same company as the Marmotte. I would drive out Friday afternoon, and drive back Saturday evening. I have an MPV which should comfortably take 5 adults with bikes and luggage. I ride about the same speed as a Sunday or Wednesday club run, amd I'd like to go if there are one or two other club members who ride around the same speed.
http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/epreuve2.php?langue=2&trophee=55

Comments

• CCA took a trip out to this region in 2008 - the weekend after this event. I can vouch for the great riding and beautiful scenery. And food!

A few pics that paint the picture here

It was painless getting there - even after having to abandon the Eurostar option and getting a ferry instead.
  • James

i am interested in joining you for this one. will you be at the agm tomorrow night?

Gavin
  • Not sure if I can make it. I've been unwell so if I'm feeling better I will try to go.
  • Will be there
  • Sorry James couldnt make it in the end. Still interested in going though.
  • I have some further information:
    1) The tunnel crosssing is very cheap, £58 for the car.
    2) The Ibis hotel nearby has rooms available, cost about £50 for a double room. There is also a nice small hotel right by the start point that has twin rooms for about £60, and a garage, but I haven't checked availability.
    3) I think if you have a BC license you don't need a medical certificate, otherwise you will need your GP to sign a piece of paper saying you're fit to ride a bike. As we heard yesterday at the AGM all CCA members will now be encouraged to join BC for insurance purposes anyway; I don't know whether a BC provisional license that comes with membership will do.
    I can look into further details if it looks like there is enough interest for the trip to go ahead.
  • These are the same organisers for the Marmotte. When we registered over there for it, my BC licence wasn't technically enough and they got a bit funny - but I played daft and they let me in. I doubt I was properly registered though - so worth getting the medical certificate/GP note as advised in case you get a jobsworth - as well as being properly registered.

Also, I was told the Marmotte - so likely this sportive too - that it was technically recognized as a "race". This might be a significant point for your insurances. Likely worth giving BC a call.

Hope this helps!