Welcome to the forum

Anyone for Ventoux, or Izoard?

edited April 2012 in General
I am thinking of a trip to France. The idea is to get a spectacular ride in with minimal time away from home, probably midweek not weekend. May, June or September. Option 1. Mont Ventoux. Travel out by train to Avignon, two nights in a simple hotel near Carpentras, One day's riding and two days travelling. Depending on how I feel, either ride up the mountain once and finish with a long flat ride afterwards, or ride it twice from different sides. (People who are very strong can do all three routes up in a day, but I don't think I can). Train fare about 180, or 240 in first class (better for working, which I would have to do, more space for the bike bag, and includes meals). Option 2. Col D'Izoard. Two or three day's riding plus two extra half days travelling. Leave afternoon, train to Paris, sleeper train to Briancon. From Briancon there are several lovely rides including the Izoard, the Galibier/Lautaret, and the Claree Valley. Train fare is higher, about 350, but saves two nights in hotel. I have been there before, by sleeper train, but without a bike and it works well for me. In both Option 1 and Option 2, you need a soft bike bag to carry your bike and you just carry it on -- I've done this before on Eurostar and TGV. Anyone interested in either of these plans? I ride about the level of a Sunday or Wednesday club run.

Comments

• If my plans go to plan, I will be halfway up Ventoux late morning on Friday 8th June, then riding to Marseille as you do for a BA flight home on the Satruday!!
    Its the end of the Jubilee Week!!
  • I'm climbing Ventoux in August as part of my Rapha Cent Cols Challenge.

James, you should do the three routes. A great challenge, but doable if you start early enough. Anything less would be a missed opportunity!
  • You get a card, frame plate, medal and certificate:
    Club des Cingl