Welcome to the forum

Fleche Welwyn 22 April 2012

edited April 2012 in Road Racing
I was hoping Lee or Jason might post something regarding this race so that I could keep a low profile, however here's my report for what it's worth.

The course is the same as our prestigious Primavera race in the same direction (it's all about the left turns) but starts from Cople village hall and is neutralised until leaving Cardington then crossing the line at the top of the 'Hanger-berg' with 5 laps to go.

I don't remember the neutralised section as the pace seemed very fast from the moment we set off and I thought I was going to get dropped coming out of Cardington before even reaching the first ascent of the hill. The potholes are a bit of a problem around this section of the course and eliminated a handful of riders (including one of Ashwell's own, more below) in the short space of time that I was involved.

The pace settled somewhat although still rapid and I felt comfortable around the first lap and I could see up ahead that Lee was solo on the front "He must be feeling strong I thought", Jason also looked in his comfort zone. Up and over the hill for the second time of asking we went and I was staying in touch, with some effort however, which must have taken more out of me than I had realised, as coming out of Old Warden and flowing down into Ickwell the speed seemed to increase significantly leaving the field strung out and I, being near the back of the bunch, lost the wheel in front and saw the danger signs.

Now I thought is the time to put all those turbo sessions to use, and called down to the engine room for more coal, and on it went, for about 50 metres before the engine room piped back up, 'out of coal skipper'. Okay, don't panic, the guy behind me will slot past and I'll let him pull me back on, sounds good in theory doesn't it? Unfortunately for me, the guy behind me sprinted around me so fast (followed by the remainder of the stragglers) that I just watched him comfortably rejoin the group as my heart sank in the realisation that my race was over. 1 1/2 laps in.

Almost a blessing in disguise as I had to be in Welwyn at 12.30 for my son's track coaching session, but after packing up and leaving the car park, I encountered Lee coming back to HQ, another victim of those damn potholes around Cardington. He said he was devastated and rightly so, I'm sure he'd have done very well. Hard luck Lee, your time will come no doubt.

I've no idea how Jason got on though, I hope the others can give us their take on the event. Though for me, for now, it's time to work harder and get stronger.

From my scan of the results on VeloUk.net a guy from Coventry RC won by 4 seconds and Welwyn only had one guy in the top 20, more victims of the potholes I think.

Comments

• well done guys
    the club run was a little late so we only saw jason in the group.
  • Well done Pete - very impressed. All the best for your next race. Primavera?
  • Nice write up Peter. Keep at it, regularity is very important for road racing, you'll soon be finishing with the bunch.
  • ditto Pete...well done ....you'll be there with the rest and up for a podium soon
  • Well done guys. Pete, Just take all the positives and learning you can from the experience and build on those. Give it time and I promise it does get better.....not easier, just better - hope that makes sense.
  • Thanks for the kind words all. I will attempt to give CCA a better showing at my next event, Ixworth Crits, Monday 7th May.

Your support is always welcome, why don't you come and shout at me!!
  • Here's my report.

After last weeks “shocker” at the Eagle RR, could I make amends this week at the Fleche Welwyn RR?. Run off the same course as the Primavera, I was looking forward to this race. Near perfect weather conditions. Sunny with a light breeze, the pace would probably be quick. I’d decided this week, not to languish at the back of the field but instead try and get much nearer the front from the off.

A short neutralised section from Cople village hall (a better facility than old warden village hall, I thought. Maybe something to think about for the Primavera Carmelo?) and we’re off. The initial pace was quite high and it wasn’t long before “the hill”. This was taken without breaking stride, a feature that would see some riders out the back on the second lap. The first lap passed off without incident and most of the bunch of less than 60 riders (there were about 5 non-starters) were all together. The pace picked up a bit on the second lap, with a couple of lone breaks but nothing too serious. I’d decide to get on the front for a bit but no-one was keen to share the work, so I backed off and sat back in the bunch.

Up the hill for lap 3 and the pace at the front is beginning to quicken, I was feeling good, relaxed and thinking that I was in good condition here. Happy days, compared to last week. The course is pretty rutted with a few decent pot holes, most of which I’d avoided so far by staying in the middle of the road. However, about 2 km out of Cople, the rider in front hit a pot hole, so did I! I thought I’d gotten away unscathethed but it wasn’t to be. about 1km later, the back tyre started bouncing about and that sinking feeling was upon me. The puncture fairy had visited. Gutted, I was in about 10th place at the time and had to pull over.

I didn’t have any spare wheels in the service car and to be honest, it was so far back, by the time I’d have changed it would Have been virtually impossible to get back in touch.

I limped back to the HQ. for the second week running, I watched the race come through. One guy had about 45 secs on a chasing group of 8ish, followed by the main group about a further minute back. This group contained Jason, who was looking pretty comfortable. I think he finished just outside the top 20.

So I’m currently 2 and 0. Next up is the Primavera, unless I can find another race to have a go at, in the meantime!
  • Ah, but the difference this week Lee even though you punctured is that you were comfortable.... "I’d decided this week, not to languish at the back of the field but instead try and get much nearer the front from the off."....and thats probably why.

You'll soon be fighting for placings!