Welcome to the forum

SPRING SATURDAY RIDES

edited March 2009 in Youth
Subject: Sat 28th Youth Section Rides

9.30am start from Ashwell School..8 mile loops...possible first finish 10.45am..probable finish if both loops 1130 am ....also at the school

Hi All.......

This week is the last before April track sessions at Welwyn.

I want to start a road group in the club for the younger riders......we would appreciate the help of older riders like Tom and Will. who have experience of riding as a group.

Mark Read and I will be leading this with some experienced adult riders to chaperone and act as advance and rear protection. We will relate this before riding.
The ride will not at this stage be about speed but awareness of the road, junctions,traffic, and especially each other. Reaction to instructions called by Mark and myself will be most important as their own and the other riders safety depends on each person obeying those calls quickly and confidently.
There is a vast range of abilities within the youth section. Some younger riders will be more confident and experienced than some older ones. Size also counts as riding together is easier if bikes and riders are closer in size. Depending on those who decide to come we may have to split the ride to make a more balanced grouping.
I intend to make the ride as a fig. 8 so we can break off for those less fit and carry through for the longer range riders.
Don't worry overmuch. I am confident that the ride will work smoothly and be a good experience for all involved.

Mark Wyer will also be doing an off-ride route for those who want this and I have arranged for Mike Christy to Head the Stevenage Cycle tracks joined by some parents for those who are not yet ready for the road.

Please confirm if possible who is coming and which rides you feel you are capable of doing or accompanying if a cycling parent.

I must stress that any parents who wish to help should be capable of riding comfortably and controllably within a group and aware of the cycling etiquette of road calls and group riding practice.

Thanking you all in advance

Geoff

Comments

• Geoff,

Please add time and start/finish locations. I'm not sure if the Maynards will be able to make it, due to football and racing commitments.

Richard
  • have done so Richard..see above..geoff
  • Geoff,
    Rebecca will join you for the first loop - if that is OK. (The other two have prior commitments)
    I'll bring her down before the Saturday club ride sets off. Richard or Josh will be at the school to collect her for 10.45.
    Sorry neither Richard or I can accompany this time.

Alison
  • Hi Geoff,

Katie and Edward will be there at 9.30.

Alistair
  • that's good...should be a good turnout....see you tomorrow
  • Hi Geoff

Just to let you know Daniel and Mikey will both be at the bike ride on Saturday.This will be for the off road ride.

Malc
  • Thanks for today Geoff and Mark from Theo and I! He loved it and I wished I worn more clothing. Se you next week at the track.

Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel.good luck tomorrow............If our club rides were as disciplined as the FIRST youth road ride even Max. would be happy........well done everyone and a special thanks to the adults for classy chaperoning..........I cut the ride short as we were late starting and there was a ferocious head wind...Longer next time AFTER the Welwyn sessions.

Off-Roaders who DON'T want to do track...please let me know and I will talk to Mark Wyer.
  • WELWYN INDUCTION SESSIONS........................SEE GENERAL SECTION
  • Hi Geoff, sorry I've only just seen the post asking for help, I don't mind helping out with the youth ride, as I'm there anyway with the Main Club Run.
    Tom McQ
  • Thanks Tom

Help would be appreciated.........For the record I am doing these every Saturday now at 9.30 from the school in Ashwell.......Parents who are experienced cyclists welcome to help especially at head and foot of ride as outriders for protection.

Only one this week young Tristram Rayner....8yrs and 14 miles at 12 on our club road bike which fitted him.

Jon and Theo did very well last week ..some 26 miles at 14-15mph.....

There are quite a few young riders now who would benefit from developing their road skills and discipline...am hoping that Mark Read will take a hand in July...
  • Geoff,
    I am hoping to be there on Saturday with Theo.
    Daniel
  • 4th July..........please NOTE.....I am in London and can't take the youth club run.........if anyone is able and can accompany their child I am sure the Saturday group will be happy to welcome you to ride with them.....same time...9.30am 37 silver street. cheers everyone.