Welcome to the forum

100mile/100k Hatfield Forest ride - 26th April - 8am

edited March 2009 in Club runs
how are we going to do these everyone.??

Bob's and My intentions are to run these as CLUB pace rides so that everyone can enjoy the day..have a relaxed ride with fellow club members and enjoy the conversation and scenery.
Clearly we hope for good weather.........if it is really bucketing down I can't see the point in doing the ride as the enjoyment will not be there..probably we will move it to the next Sunday in the hope of better weather.
Also, some club members won't be able to give the longer time needed to do these distances at club pace. They presumably will take smaller club and Mid. rides for these riders.!!!!!!

The first is this Sunday 28th..Bob's 100K,,....................The next is My 100 mile April 26th........ see the Calendar section of the website and check the routes logged on there.

Thoughts and comments please.

Comments

• Yes. Am up for the 100m ride on the 26th - can we start early... 8am? I'd only be tapping my fingers.
  • Hi Robbie.............I understand, but think that will be too early for most.I was planning an 8.30am start as a compromise.

Is that o.k. with everyone????
  • edited April 2009
    I can't make the full 100 miles on the 26th. But I'll join for the first 40 - thru Hatfield Forest, around Stansted. Then I'll peel off as you approach Molehill Green for Ugley Green and then to Manuden and so on to familiar roads to the Pelhams, Anstey etc. This comes in at 68 miles - just over 100km - so might suit others not able or confident of doing the full bit - but still a rewarding ride. I'll be with a mate, Olly.

68 mile ashwell-stansted-pelhams-ashwell;
    http://www.mapmyride.com/edit_route?r=697124005807471620

To be honest, like finger-tapping Robbie, I'd prefer an 8am start too. I reckon you'd get more turn-out the earlier you start? It'll be 7hrs.
  • I'm up for an 8am start....how do we guarantee everyone knows so some don't turn up late disappointed????
  • If it is announced at the AGM then everyone will know. Right?

Daniel
  • that's one option Daniel............better be more there than last year or we will have a very small number who know.......
  • Cool. See you all at 8am. Plenty of fuel eh.
  • announced to all on rides today the 8am start and everyone seemed up for it.
    planning a pub/lunch stop at Radwinter or Ashdon.........coffee stop if people want at Barton..nr Cambridge in afternoon.see how it progresses.......hope for fine weather like today and lets enjoy the ride. Martin has planned a good 100k shorter version, starting and coming part way with us all...see previous .......for those who cannot stay out so long.....the rest of us should all be back for 3.00'ish.

see you all Sunday.
  • Please check the ride as planned everyone...just click on the link Martin has put there.see Calendar section........it aleways helps to have your own idea of where we are going just in case the ride splits for some unknown reason......

if this weather keeps on it should be a fantastic day
  • well everyone.....noone knows what the weather will do tomorrow, so fingers crossed ............as i said, if it is tipping it down or a steady drizzle at the start we will NOT start.....there is no fun in doing a long ride if you start out wet.........if the good or reasonable weather holds then it's on........I shall be there at 8.00am for the ride and hope to see as many as possible there..........remember your drink..some energy snacks and some money for lunch.......happy cycling everyone
  • Great weather and good turn out - 14? A very steady, friendly pace. Terrain very nice around and after Puckeridge way. A bit lost near Spellbrook - should the club buy its own GPS? A few of us broke away after 40 miles to complete our 100km. Bob took a slow fall at a junction. Hope the cuts and bruises heal quickly. Then we bumped into the Nasties at Brent Pelham... Cue a rather rapid return! 107km, 16.1mph ave.

A few pics;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccashwell/sets/72157617265002421/detail/
  • Thanks to Geoff for a great route. After the 100k group headed off we carried on a a good steady pace to our planned lunch stop at Radwinter. However we got there a bit early so pressed on eventually stopping at 61 miles in, i think Balsham. A very pleasant pub was found. At this point myself, Robbie and Jim decided to press on without lunch. We did the rest of the ride as a 3 up team time trial. It was very fast on the Fulborn stretch with speeds well in excess of 30 mph. We managed to follow Geoffs route, had a slight diversion into Potton for fuel and got back into Ashwell with 102 on the clock and and just scrapped an average of 17.0.
    Good ride, lovely weather and thanks to Robbie and Jim for a great bit of training. Hope the rest got back ok.
  • Another top CCA ride. Until the next time eh...
  • really enjoyed the day, thanks to Geoff & Bob for organising. Bob, hope your knee is OK?

Great to see so many of you wearing the CCA colours!! As per previous blogg, I am putting an order together now so those of you who liked what you saw yesterday drop me a mail... I was sporting the new shorts and can say they were very comfortable! Anybody else with feedback?
  • Me, Alex, little Phil (his words not mine) and the chap who rides the Scott CR1 (he who goes up hills like they are not there!! - sorry don't know the name!) and Max for the first 12'ish miles, were guided by Phil to Bassingbourn, Shepreth, Fowlmere, Safron Walden, Thaxted, Newport, Nuthampstead where we were 'caught' by the 100k group whilst I changed my puncture!! - i never knew Essex was so hilly which left me 'clinging on' for most of the ride and finally dropped just after Reed (plus i took a wrong turn in Therfield, which if i hadn't i am confident my descending skills would have seen me clawing my way back!!!not). Very enjoyable ride with my stats recording 78miles (which includes my commute to and from Ashwell) at an average of 18.6
  • hi guys.....wasn't the weather just a dream?? made the day perfect...great company..think nearly 20 started out Martin....Tim Giles and another turned off at A10 to do a 45 miler....Hatfield forest and the hilly approach route was shown to its best yesterday..such beautiful country and so accessible....apart from a couple of slight detours, soon corrected, we covered the route I had planned ....Martin, Bob and 3 or 4 others broke off at Molehill Green..other side of Stanstead...for their 100K ride...and in the end the remaining 8 who stopped for lunch finished the 100 miles at 3.40pm averaging 16.2mph.speed picked up after Balsham as predicted..fantastic open roads with good surface, remeniscent of some of the best French roads....they were a blast ........we didn't reach 30's Tim, but we averaged 23-25 for long stretches. Thanks everyone for turning out to make it such a good ride.
  • Good to see everyone got what they wanted out of the day
    Club run speed kept as advertised for the "gang of 8"
    All crossed line together
    Good start to a season of monthly 100 mile rides