Welcome to the forum

ECCA festival Road Race 6th may

edited May 2012 in Road Racing
Just wanted to mention a really strong finish from our Jason Stuart to finish 3rd in Sunday's race...I Had a lot of attempts at getting away feeling a bunch sprint almost inevitable (and I don't like them these days)but repeatedly hauled back in ...one time off the front but flagged to stop after big crash in the senior race that Jeremy Ross was involved in but thankfully OK...one rider helicoptered to hospital... we waited a few minutes to see if the race was to be called off but it went on......but the funniest thing was when I was off the front again doing about 30mph thinking this is good when a SKY rider shot past me as if I was stood still...I noticed the kit and that he wasn't wearing a race number and of course it was Alex Dowsett..He was out training and going past all the races for fun!

There was 1 guy that gained a few seconds on last lap but Jason rode an intelligent race and saved his effort and lead out the sprint ..from further back I watched and wondered if he had gone to early..but no,it paid off as he was strong and hardly anyone could get round him!
I'm sure that's just the beginning of his point scoring ...Well Done!

Comments

• What a weekend! Jason 3rd and Carmelo 24th in the 3/4, Jezz mixing it up with the big guys in the E/1/2/3 with a 6th!!! Along with Cam's 1st at Ixworth.
    WOW, trying to take it all in. Well done guys.
  • Thats a great set of results! A good result for Jason thats been coming for a while, and same to Cam who's looking great, brilliant result. Well done to everyone who was there, would have loved to come but unfortunatly had to work.
  • Really pleased to get points at last and now gone up to 3rd cat. Had a good race and my legs were feeling ok for once.The roads were really bad though, with lots of potholes. There were a few attacks with riders trying to get away, but these were always chased down. And on a lap and a half to go, the race was stopped for about 5 minutes because of the crash in Jez's race, which gave riders a chance to recover, so as soon as the race started again the pace picked up and there was breakaway which didn't come to anything, so I thought it would come down to a sprint finish. A rider had got away with about a minute lead and I was surprised he wasn't chased down by other riders. I spotted the 1k board and thought what have I got to lose, the road went down a hill and then up again and flattened out towards the finish, so I thought i'd go for it over the hill and overtake riders on the outside and go for a long one out. I buried myself and sprinted as fast as I could with about 300m to go, and then coming up to the line a guy from Welwyn came past me in what seemed like slow motion, as soon as he came past I thought I was going to get engulfed by riders, but I held out for third - happy days! After a disappointing ride at the Welwyn Flech, getting cramp in the bunch sprint, I was relieved this didn't happen again last sunday. Big thanks to Jez and Carmelo for your support and advice. Looking forward to next sunday, hope the weather's good!
  • Top racing chaps.