Welcome to the forum

Mulitple Groups?

edited May 2012 in Chain gangs
I have been reading this section with some interest for a while now.

The thought of riding quickly and working together sounds brilliant. :0)

Only slight problem is that I would die trying to keep up with you boys at 20+mph

Is there a slightly slower group that can cater for those interested to come and have a go? Or is a case that this is just for the 'racers'?

Having not actually ridden in this way I have no idea what pace I would be able to sit at in a group.

If there isn't a slower group, is there any interest in starting one from others?

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• Mark

I'd be in for a slightly slower group - can't make this week as I'm off to see the Buzzcocks (showing my age!) but would join you next week.

Andrew
  • i think so far, certainly the one i went on, it was just a single fast group. However, it would be great to start a slower group and if you stick to the same circuit anyone who falls off the faster group can get picked up by you. Go for it!
  • Great idea Mark. I'd certainly like to join in ,tho I can't make this week.
    Be good to have someone who knows what they're doing to start us of.
  • I cant do this week either, but if i am around in the future, ill be happy to give a few pointers. just give it a go and one of the more experienced riders who gets shot out of the fast group will im sure help you out.
  • OK.. it seems there might be some interest then.

I have no idea what route is ridden or what actually happens!! Just like the sound of riding my bike fast in a group :-)

Hopefully we will be able to get somethnig up and running next week then :-)
  • can't make this week, but I'm back in Ashwell for a couple of weeks so will happily lead a slower group next Tuesday and take you through the technicalities of chain gang riding ....... If it is learning to do it right first then speed isn't critical...It is more important to learn to pace the ride and come through smoothly...no problem though guys...once you get the hang of it we can up the pace and then you can see how it feels
  • Mark

I will be out tonight - diary malfunction, will be at the red Phone Box corner at Steeple Morden shortly after 7 and then 7.40. I do know the route so if enough "b" riders turn up lets try and make a slower group - otherwise I'll just hang on to the faster group as long as possible.

Andrew R
  • That sounds awesome Geoff, thank you. :-)

Andrew - have rearranged this evening so I am not available!! Typical eh!!

Definitely all clear for next Tuesday though!!
  • I'd like to come along to join the chain gang tonight and try and hang on as long as I can. From the various discussions, I'm not sure if this starts at 7 or 7.30? Could someone please let me know? Thanks a lot and see you later.
    Rob
  • This is where we're at with start times.... Originally it has been starting at 7.30 from the Three Tons pub and going to Steeple Morden for a 7.40pm first lap. A few have been able to meet at 7pm at the pub to get an early lap in and then waiting for the others by the cross roads in Steeple. Take your pick really. Today I'm able to make 7pm but next week most probably 7.30pm like many others traveling back up from London. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks a lot. I need to get my son to athletics training at 6.30 in Stevenage...so may not make 7 but worst case will be there for 7.30. See you later
    Rob
  • This map might be useful for the uninitiated;

http://tiny.cc/chaingang-cca

Everyone remember to shout out the left-turn at Bassingbourn for gawd's sake - really important for newbie chaingangers.
  • Am slightly scared by this now!!!

Went out last night as have found a nice 20 mile loop. Rode it Tuesday and then really tried last night. Only managed 19mph average and that almost broke me!!

How on earth you you guys get mid 20's, respect!!
  • Lloydy
    you are missing the point.....first, the loop is too big...you need a 6-8 mile circuit with some open straights to encourage the smooth procession of riders sharing the load evenly....the loop needs to be smaller so repetitions become ingrained and the riders get to know all its ups and downs ...second, the whole point is to share the load of taking the front position and thus sheltering in the group...the wind direction dictates whether you rotate from inside to out or outside to inside..recovering riders shelter new lead from wind.....that's why we have the circuit on the link above...the circuit should not be hilly but mostly level...trying to maintain smooth changes whilst climbing with different levels of ability doesn't work........

come out with me and some others next Tuesday and we'll work on getting the techniques right first......speed follows when the riders are matched and smoother.
  • Mark - sounds like we're matched for pace - I'd be happy averaging 19 riding on my own, if we can get a few more of us of similar ability then as Geoff says we can work on technique and speed will follow.

Hope to see a few out for a slower group next Tuesday as I had no chance of hanging on with the main group last week so just did a steady lap with Martin H who'd done well to hold on for the first lap.

• By drafting behind others, your energy efficiency improves by up to 40% - [theoretically]. It's just that bit on the front that REALLY hurts!

Dive in Lloydy!
  • Note: the animation is going clockwise. The CCA chain 'classic' is actually always anti-clockwise - whatever the wind direction. It's a deeply embedded part of CCA folklore.
  • Oh yes, love the graphic Martin.

note the lack of gaps (keeps it efficient) and no overlapping wheels (keeps it safe)

by the way just to be clear, we dont do it straddling the white line. we not that popular as it is ;)

if you can do 19s on your own then once your used to it you can do 23 or more in a chaingang
  • Cheers Tim - found it on Wikipedia, 'Drafting'.

Yep: no white line straddling. I didn't notice that. The animation doesn't include the occasional combine harvester coming the other way, dead badgers, or 'Bassingbourn rogues' hurling abuse from the sidelines.
  • I hear what you are saying Geoff, and I maybe missed the point a little. But I was trying to see what it felt like pushing that hard, as when at the front it will feel like that or worse..

I was pushing hard, but looking at the splits from the ride there were a lot of my miles in the high 19's and early 20's and even a 25.9 - that was using Everton hill though!! ha ha ha

Looking forward to tuesday :-)
  • great graphic Martin...Lloydy...no probs....was just trying to reassure you that speed comes with smoothness, oh, and fitness...19's on own around that route is fine....you are doing all the work so as Tim says you will be up with the fast boys.
    Hear what you say Martin about ingrained rotation anti-clockwise...however everyone should work on both directions as the main object is to sustain a good pace whilst sharing load and sheltering from any wind as much as possible....to really be a top unit you need to always be aware of wind direction and adjust style accordingly......call from the lead as to which direction to rotate as they are acutely aware of wind there....would make a good exercise for all groups and get you used to switching over to maximise the sheltering.
    Another helpful thing is all to be riding the same cadence for the majority of the circuit...it is easier to ride as a group and get the rhythm if all the pedals are turning at the same pace...for newbies to this it is a good way to help get the pace right and keep gapping to a minimum.....
  • Liking this thread and as I am not up to doing 24+ mph this summer will try and join the plan b next week to help the cause. It's all about Kenco.
  • I have just been reminded that it is my wife's birthday on Tuesday!!

Ooooops!!! Apparently, we are going out for a meal, but she did say.

'You can go riding if you really want to'...

Guess that means I will see you the week after!!

Apologies
  • o.k......she could come and watch!!!!........better leave till following week...see you then
  • OR...you could borrow a tandem!
  • I might regret this but I'm up for giving it a go too. So, its next Tuesday 5th June then?
  • Love the tandem idea, unfortunately she doesn't!! ;0)

Tuesday 5th is the next day I can make it yes :0)
  • Geoff

Are you going to lead a ride out this Tuesday?
  • yes Andrew if you all want me to....I can make it anytime from 7pm and will be at the Tuns at that time.

so Tuesday 29th for the first and Tuesday 5th for second...I'll be back in Durham after that so hope all will be in tune and on song for the following rides which you will be doing..........
  • Let's try this week Geoff and see if we can get a few together - looks like James, Rob, Ade & Tom are all interested and I'm sure a few others would be too.