Welcome to the forum

Track Racing This Weekend

edited May 2012 in Road Racing
If anyone would like a laugh and to watch some seriously quick racing then this Saturday at Gosling Stadium, Welwyn GC Welwyn Wheelers are promoting their Derny Fest and yours truly is racing a motorbike, in front of some talented athletes.

Racing starts at midday and for those of you who havn't seen this before it isn't like Keiran racing where there's only one motor pacer and 6-8 bikes. There are 6-8 pacers each with one bike behind with the races being of 10 miles or so. The below YouTube clip shows what happens: -

On Sunday at 2pm at Fearnhill School, Letchworth there is another grass track meeting at which some of our youth riders will be racing and would appreciate your support.

Richard

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Yes if anyone wants a real laugh and watch something seriously quick- well quickly left behind for me- then come and watch the Grass Track event!
  • edited June 2012
    A short video of yesterday's grass track racing at Letchworth: video

Mark F

• edited June 2012
    A good showing from CCA: Ed and Andrew in Junior. Jon, Theo and Cameron in U16. Anneka, Henry and Holly in U14. James Fraser in U10. Myself and Vincent in, erm, over 16.

Robbie where were you?

The event was characterised by light rain and cut grass. The light rain meant that riding down the back straight sounded like we were in a flotilla! The cut grass delightfully clung to any surface such as bicycle parts and especially tyres. The end result, in my case, was for this biomass to become wedged between tyre and front fork to form a rudimentary brake. (As if I needed to go any slower). Anyway I dare say this had no influence on my results.

The U16 were invited to ride up in the adult’s race. This delighted Theo as it gave him the chance to try and lap his dad. (Which he did.) Jon made some fine sprints early on. Andrew too, showing everyone how it was done. Vince was fantastic! Robbie, where were you? Sadly Cameron was forced to retire due to injuries sustained the previous day at Litchfield. Theo did okay in most races; in fact so okay that he won the omnium!

Sorry, I was too shattered to note how the other CCA riders faired.

As you can see from Mark’s excellent video the racing is hard work, but very rewarding. I came last in every race (maybe with one exception), but I loved it. Seriously this grass track racing is excellent, ask Vince if you don’t believe me.

Thanks to Max and his team for staging such a great event.

Daniel
  • Gutted. Presumed the rain would have been too much so went to the in-laws.
    Not as much fun I can say! Means I can get even more practise in before the next one!
  • Well- in CCA

Way to go Theoooo!!!