Welcome to the forum

Semi Rigid Race Bike

edited April 2009 in General
Has anyone checked out the new semi rigid race bike specialized have released? According to the article I read what they’ve done is used some form of semi-bonded flexible carbon hybrid fibre that is sensitive to a magnetic field. Two ‘hoppers’ are mounted on the frame (which in itself is only 375 grams!), one on the down tube and one on the cross tube, in to which you slot specialized FrameMagz (some kind of high powered magnet) and this forces the fibres to react and become rigid. The testers reckoned that the ride compliance was second to none and that by adjusting the hoppers you can adjust the rigidity of the frame for rougher road surfaces getting close to, if not as good as full suspension. With the magnets removed the frame is flexible enough to fit in a special aircraft overhead locker bag (available separately from Specialized)…shame you’ve still got the wheels else what a train commuter bike!!! Prices are TBA but I think we can expect it to cost more than any other bikes they currently have on offer!

I’ll try to dig out a link

Cheers

Dave