Welcome to the forum

National road championships

edited July 2012 in Road Racing
8th July. Raining back in Letchworth but sunshine as we entered Gravesend for the national road race. I'm sure that Theo and Cameron were feeling the nerves which I felt (Bryn not up to fitness as he has just overcome his illness).

It was a tight compact circuit will plenty hairpins and tricky corners, which we had to sprint out of the corners (just like a crit race). A bit of a hill on the back straight but it was fairly flat-more to my liking.

We queued in the pen, ready to get released. we lines up on the start line. Myself and Cameron started on the front row, Theo started on the row behind us. off we went and I was finding it hard from the start as I hadn't been around the circuit before. i started falling through the pack as I haven't got the fitness of which some of these people had in there legs. I stayed in there for 2 laps. Cameron and Theo did much better. Theo wasn't feeling quite as he hoped but he performed quite well inspite of this. Cameron seems to be peaking at this point of the year and is flying (as you have seen in his time-trials) as he stayed in the peloton until the last too laps.

Once you had fallen out of the peloton then it is just a matter of time for when you get lapped especially with a technical course like this with the continuous sprints. I got lapped half way into the race. Theo got lapped several laps latter and Cameron survived. Dan Maynard fell out of the peloton before Cameron, a good effort for the 1st year youth A

A tough day of racing for the CCAshwell youth. But a day of experiences.

Comments

• good write-up Jon. Keep on with the effort. It will all come together for you and the rest of CCA U16 team next year I am certain. You all have put tremendous effort into your training and riding and do the club proud.
    Add to this the importance of all doing well in your studies and exams, something which cannot be ignored as your future depends on getting good results. It's hard to balance all of this, so well done to you all.