Welcome to the forum

National Youth Torphy Series, Scarborough July 15

Stewart and I drove Cameron and Theo to Scarborough for the penultimate National Youth Trophy Series road race. This was at Oliver’s Mount and was part of a two day festival of cycling.

Oliver’s Mount is primarily an occational motor cycle race circuit, however it is ideally suited to bicycle racing too. The lads race was split between ‘top circuit laps’ and ‘complete circuit laps’. The distinction between the top and bottom circuits implied a hill.

We saw the lads off and the race unfolded as normal over the initial 10 laps on the top circuit. By the end of this phase there was a breakway of 5 riders, the main bunch and a few off the end. They then started the 5 remain laps of the full circuit. Stewart and I waited, and waited; at last riders came around the corner into the finish straight. It was as if a grenade had been thrown into pack as it was now very strung out. It seemed the hill had done some sorting out!

The initial finish sheet shows Theo 25th and Cameron 28th (we think it was 27th !) , top third of the field whatever. Good racing lads!
I’ll leave it to them to describe the race itself in more detail; however Theo’s first comment once regaining his breath was ‘We don’t have hills like that in Hertfordshire’.

Of note was that the whole festival includes many events including a grass track competition the day before AND the weather was stunning!

Daniel

Comments

• Well played lads, i wondered what you were up to this weekend.
  • Top riding chaps!
  • Knowing just how fast the pair of you are, I find it astonishing that there's anyone finishing in front of you - you're doing CCA proud - well done.